Help Please! Baby Chick Hurt - Do I Leave It With Its Mother?...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TJ, May 2, 2011.

1. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Hello, I had a black frizzle bantam cochin hen hatch two eggs two weeks ago and the first week I kept her and the chicks separated in a small cage in the chicken house. After that I let them run loose with the rest of the flock but today I walked into the chicken house and there sat the mother and as soon as I walked up to her she got up to display one of the chicks just sitting there with blood on it. It peeped and I picked it up and took a look and it looks as if its foot is broken. The foot is bloody at the break and it has blood up under one wing. It's breathing hard and shaking so I brought it in the house and put it in a laundry basket with a towel under it to kind of hold it up and comfort it. I also put a heat lamp above it but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing, help!

I tried to offer it water but it won't drink. Should I just place the injured chick back out with it's mother and sibling and keep them locked up in the pen? Will the mother hen take care of it? I dunno what to do so please give me advice. Thank you so much all!

This is just so sad I can't even think. I was so, so tickled as this was the first time I've ever had chicks hatch under a hen and now this...

Again, thank you!

~tj

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    First clean it up and post this in the emergency section, there are tons of experienced folks that should offer advice. I have heard over and over to give vitamins (polyvisol with no iron) from the drug store and electalites but I have no idea about leaving with its mother or not.

Good Luck

3. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Thank you dbounds10! I didn't even think about the Emergency Section! Thank you again! :eek:)

~tj

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by