help please baby chick mauled

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chookhead, Oct 11, 2011.

1. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    my baaby chick has been mauled by her aunty and is currently living al rite but she broke her leg and the bone is coming out of the skin and the joint is compeltly screwed its leg is sorta broken and sticking out but there is still blood going to the leg and the nerves were damaged so it cant feel anything wat shud i do i put antiseptic cream and bandaid but i looke dlater and found the leg was very broken there is a chance of me maybe putting the bone back in and letting it heal but i am afraid of gangrene so i mite chop the part off and sew the skin together to let it heal and i have heard of many chickens that do just as well with one leg even now surprisingly she is hopping sorta around and is very tired from the hopping so i have no idea wat to do wat u rekon i shud do i dont wanan loose another i am soo sad [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Short of a vet the right thing to do with a chick with a compound leg fracture is cull it. Would expect any vet would tell you the same. It simply is not something that will heal on it's own, it will be very painful and prime for infection.

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry but I would also cull it....it has to be in alot of pain...[​IMG]

4. chookhead

Sep 7, 2011
    good news evryone its healing its self and i have been putting antiseptic cream on the wounmd its healling nicley i am surprised no infection and chick is doin fine wiht one legg wow i expected her to die as well asoon as the skiin closes up i will snip the bone and the skin will heal the rest up and done wow i am surprised and se isnt in any pain at all

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    A broken leg is not a reason to cull it, Chicken bones mend rather quickly, and I know this from first hand experience, one of my turkeys attacked 3 of my chickens , 2 had one broken leg, and the third had 2 broken legs, they all survived with some constant TLC.

Now with this said....with the bone sticking out its a different story. even if the skin is mending itself, the bone is still posing an issue. Snipping the bone once the skin has healed all the way around is going t pose some major issues with this little one. I am not going to tell you to not do or do it, because in the end you will choose to do your own thing. But frankly if you want to keep this chick, a trip to a vet to reset the bone back in would be the thing to do, it should cost you much at all, and all the vet needs to do is push it back in properly and stitch up the skin. the chick would likely need a couple week of recuperation, but if its this resilient already she/he will be fine.

Good luck,

Ema

6. raykour1

raykour1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    Can you post of a photo of this? Where in the leg is the break?

I once had a polish rooster who broke his leg in a compound fracture. It became gangerenous and eventually the leg fell off below the knee joint. This happened under someone elses' care, as I was given the rooster awhile after this happened. However, it made it around just fine on his "stump"

I also amputated a wing on a guinea with a pair of trauma shears one time.

If you can realign and brace the break, and put her on antibiotics she might recover. You never know I have seen bad injuries end up just fine.

7. chookhead

Sep 7, 2011
    i am pretty sure its the drum stick but i cant get a foto anymore because the feathers are regrowing and i cant see anything

8. chookhead

Sep 7, 2011
    the chcik is fine tis even trying to start to walk on it even thought he bone is still out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by