1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, please, baby turkey with broken leg

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by barnmom27, Nov 14, 2016.

1. barnmom27

barnmom27 New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    [​IMG] we got this turkey yesteady from the feed store it has a broken legs and the guy said it's been broken for a little while, he just didn't know what to do with it.. so we now have it and we are trying our best to do right by the little guy, it's so sweet! He's still eating and drinking and it's mobility is kinda limited because it's so unbalanced but it definitely tries to move around. We have named it pirate incase the leg has to be amputated. Any advice I would greatly appreciate!

2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I recommend that you post in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum.

I do not believe your poult has a broken leg. My guess is that it is a slipped tendon and my experience is that if it is left as is for too much time that it is not likely to be able to be healed.

3. barnmom27

barnmom27 New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    so what can I do for him if that's is what is going on? I have a vet apt. On sat, but that's just to see what's going on, we still want to do what we can without a huge vet bill..

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Here is a link to a list of many threads about slipped tendons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by