Help Please! Big lump on side of my Buff Orpington hen and she is off balance and spacey.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kperki, Sep 1, 2014.

1. kperki

kperki Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed that my Buff Orpington hen was a little "off" so this evening I went to give her some liquid vitamins and check her out and on my way to pick her up I see her stumble and kind of collapse and then get back up very wobbly. I picked her up and I can see she just seems like she is a little out of it, not her self. She is a little over a year old I believe. I got her from someone else. She is on her second round of worm medicine that was given to her about a week ago. She has not produced an egg that I have found in approximately 5 days. She free ranges and has before gone rogue and used a bush for her nesting box so I thought maybe she is up to her tricks again. When I was holding her I noticed a big protruding lump above her right hip area. It feels like it could be the size of an egg but I am new to this and have no idea if this is where it could be if it is stuck. It felt warm and she did not like me touching the area. I also noticed a few days ago she was not running as fast at treat time and on about the third stride would kind of favor the other leg slightly. Nothing major. I put her in the garage in a big kennel. She ate some of her layer pellets and drank some water. She was standing but still wobbly. I am not sure what I need to be doing so any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she have a broken hip or does it feel more like an abscess or tumor? Is it hard or soft? If a picture is possible, it may help. I would put poultry vitamins in her water daily. Did she have Mareks vaccine?

3. kperki

It feels like a tumor, it feels more hard. It is about the size of an egg. It is located in that area where the Buffs have those feathers on there back that looks like they have big hips. It is not a broken hip. She is also pooping normal. Her eyes are not bright like normal either. I do not know if she had a Mareks vaccination.
    Thanks for your help.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. kperki

Thank you for the links, very informative.

It is hard because at times she seems normal and then she will be wobbly and moving her head all around in a very different way than she normally does. She is eating a lot and not acting like she is in pain so I am going to keep making her comfortable and happy and see how she does and if she gets bad I will call the vet so she doesn't suffer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by