Help please, blood in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JulieNKC, Dec 3, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I have some eggs under a broody silkie. 2 are pipped and hatching normally. The 3rd I think has pipped internally. I can hear it peeping and see i moving a bit. There is a lot of blood in there though, so I think it might have hit a vein pipping? Is there anything I should do? I think they are around day 19-21, I forget exactly when she started to set.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You know, they say it's bad to help a chick get out of the egg. Maybe this chick just needs another day to absorb the nutrients and grow. If you absolutely can't stand to wait, you could try and help, but it will be a very slight chance, in my opinion, that the chick will survive if you're seeing blood.....

3. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Is the chick inside the egg still moving and making noise? Can you hear it pecking at the egg?

If it's still doing those things, it is doing just fine by the sounds of it. How can you tell there is a lot of blood? why do you think it's abnormal?

4. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    There is no worse feeling in the world than killing an otherwise happy and healthy chick by jumping in and "helping" it. I know from experience. It sounds like it is strong and healthy, wiggling and peeping. If there is blood, then it is too early for the baby to leave the egg, so there is nothing you can do from the outside anyway. It is just a matter of hours between the veins being moist and still needed and dried up and ready to fall off, so there is a very good chance that the chick is just in the process still.

5. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:When I candled the eggs the top of the air cell was clear, but the rest of it is red, with thicker puddle spots around. I've never seen blood when candling any of my other eggs. The chick also seems like it's taking more room up in the egg than the others, which is why I'm thinking maybe it's just in a weird position and hit a vein pipping?
    I really don't want to help it, I figure if it's supposed to hatch it will on it's own. Only egg I've ever helped was one I dropped and smashed. It had no shell left so I eventually had to help it out of the membrane. I am more just wondering if there's still a good probability of it hatching?

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    If the shell is pipped through so you can see, you ought to just let it be. Helping is usually unnecessary for broody hens' chicks. Even if it hit blood, it's usually okay- this doesn't happen often, but there isn't a way for you to help it even if you could. If it's bleeding, then you can't do anything because it's not ready yet.

It's very hard, but stop looking and wait until morning. [​IMG]

7. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    The chick has zipped enough this morning for me to see in, and all the blood looks dried. He's still really active in there, moving all around and being pretty loud. [​IMG]

8. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Quote:Yippy! Go chicky go!!! [​IMG]

9. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Happy to hear everything went well!!! What a remarkable hatch with the one you dropped. Had it already pipped through when that happened?

Anyway, you'll have to post some pictures of your new arrivals. I'm a sucker for chicky-baby pictures!

10. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:The one I dropped hadn't pipped externally. The egg was pretty smashed, good thing little chicks are durable. [​IMG]
    The egg when I dropped it
    [​IMG]
    Her a few months ago, she's the momma of a little red chick that hatched this morning.
    [​IMG]
    The little bloody chick made it out. It's all black, I'll get pictures later today. I think he's half silkie, has a walnut comb, 5 toes, black skin, but no feathery legs. I think I'm keeping him. I have to sell the others, but I'm hoping since he's being raised by a broodie he won't mind being a single chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by