Help please! Breed and gender questions.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TriciaAnne, Jan 6, 2017.

1. TriciaAnne

TriciaAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2015
    Spring Hill Florida
    I bought 6 chicks from our local Rural King that were supposedly Dominiques December 18. They were all in the same bin but are obviously not all Doms and probably not all pullets or even the same age. I am enclosing pictures below. Thank you for any help.
    [​IMG]
    I am pretty sure this is a roo. He is developing a rose comb so may actually be a Dominique.
    [​IMG]
    Straight comb, dark beak and legs so maybe barred rock pullet.
    [​IMG]
    The one with visible head has a rose comb, dark beak and legs but comb is pinking up already. The second next to her has a straight comb, dark legs and beak but very indistinct barring.
    [​IMG]
    This little one is obviously much younger but only developing wing feathers at this point. No tail.
    [​IMG]
    Last another with straight comb, dark beak and legs.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could be a mix of st. run Dominiques and Barred Rocks. Or they could all be male black sexlinks. Post again at 6 weeks old, when fully feathered.

3. TriciaAnne

Aug 9, 2015
    Spring Hill Florida
    Thank you. Will do

4. Lelo

Lelo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2017
    Brazil
    To me, 2nd 1 is a male, 1st and anothers females. The young 1s i cant tell.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    please post new photos at 6-8 weeks - I'll be eager to see them again

6. TriciaAnne

Aug 9, 2015
    Spring Hill Florida
    So...The youngest chick who I thought for sure was female (very small concise white spot on her head and black on her beak when I picked her out) is the only one I now think is a boy. He is about 3 weeks younger than the rest and his feathers came in much slower. Last week he started walking very upright, chest sticking out and preceded to boss the others around even though they are twice his size! Now today I saw that his comb and wattle have turned very pink. None of the others even have a hint of a blush. Here a picture.
    [​IMG]

None of the other chicks stand or strut like he does.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Definitely a cockerel. Just look how 'light' the barring seems compared to the others. That's a male specific trait.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by