Help Please: Building a Door.......

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bleenie, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I am building a small house for the growing ducklings and need a little help figuring out how to frame the cleaning/access door so that it's stable. The house is being built out of recycled fence boards.... last time i built one like this it was bigger & the cleaning door (also on the side) became droopy over time and i just want this one to stay stable. This house is very light and i can still move it by myself. The fence boards are very light but i wanna do this right because i want it to last as long as possible. I will add windows after im done with the door, but this is just stumpping me....

Should i use 2x4's on the front & back walls to make it good and sturdy for the hinges & lock? How would i frame a door made from wood slats?

[​IMG][​IMG]

I also have some more framing to add for the roof but planned to put it in today after i figured out the dang door! Thank you guys. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    frame your door with 2x4 to fit the opening and put an angle brace for support (may require some angular cuts with a saw), kinda like this:

--------------
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    --------------

they also sell wire cable gate supports at Lowes n Hope Depot. they keep gates/doors from sagging by tightening the cable with a turnbuckle.

i would definitely use 2x4's for support throughout.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

You don't think the 2x4's would weigh it down do you? I have seen the Z support framing before & dont know why i didnt think of that! thank you for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by