1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help, please....can chickens spread disease to wild birds?.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhen, Jul 29, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    my sister-in law just called me to ask, because, her friend took in a roo(dont know what breed)..he is her only chicken..she has had him for about 3 weeks....he seems very healthy..no sickness symptoms,..but recently a dead sparrow was found by his food dish(she feeds him cracked corn and hulled sun flower seeds)and also in the past 2 days, 2 female gross beaks were found dead near the barn where he wanders during the day..so we were wondering if he could possibly be spreading a disease to them..or visa-versa from them to him...also..the birds were not attacked by him..they were in perfect condition..no attack signs..so..could you please help us out..thanks...Wendy:)

2. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    could they be choking on the cracked corn?..thanks, Wendy

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Sounds more like some predator, maybe a cat, is taking advantage of birds visiting or wanting to visit the roo's food!! My cat is very quick to do his darnest to sneak up on birds visiting my chicken's bowl. However, luckily, all the "regulars" know he's bound to be lurking somewhere.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* (d.p.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks d.k.,..i asked her..she says there is no cat in the area..and no attack signs at all on the birds..it is very strange!!..she has been feeding these birds for like 10 years or so...so shes upest about losing them:(....what about avian flu?...but they just dont drop dead from that..?..i cant think of anything else..[​IMG]..thanks again..appreciate the help..Wendy

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could there be an outbreak of West Nile in her area? They were finding all sorts of dead birds when that was in the news. Yes, the chickens can get disease from wild birds and not just avian flu. Mycoplasmosis can pass from wild birds to chickens. It's one reason I pretty much quit filling bird feeders when I got chickens. I dont know about chickens passing disease to the wild birds, but I guess it's possible, if they have one and there is close contact.

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    what about west nile disease?...would they just be dead by the feeder and barn?[​IMG]...Wendy

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks speckled hen..i didnt see your post before i asked about the west nile..we live in western mass....have you heard of any outbreaks?..thanks so much..Wendy

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    does anyone have any other ideas?..3 birds in a few days?..its very strange....thanks, Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by