Help Please! Chicken dying :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hensandchickscolorado, Jul 20, 2011.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    I came home to my cross-beaked easter egger limping around the yard and not eating or drinking. I think the heat has gotten to her and the other girls have been pecking. She looks really bad.

I separated her and she is now in a bin with food and water, but she's not moving. Breathing though.

I can't do anything that requires me to wring her neck or otherwise traumatic...the vets will take her for $100 and far across town. Is there a way to put her down quickly without a lot of horror? My four year old daughter is home. I don't know anyone with a pellet gun or else I'd go with that option.

I am a mess...please help!!

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Is this a fully grown hen?

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'd bring her in the house if you have A/C. Give her electrolytes, vitamins, and/or a little sugar water. Hopefully she will be okay.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    If you must, the best thing is to put her in an airtight bin not much bigger than her (less airspace) with a rag SOAKED in starter fluid. It's ether and will knock her out, then kill her. Unfortunately, she will have convulsions once it begins to kill her, but she'll be unconscious, so it won't be upsetting for her.

Do it outside, and make sure the lid is weighted down. Go inside once you toss the rag in. Come out no sooner than 10 minutes.

I'm so very sorry- this is a very hard thing to do. [​IMG]

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    The reason I asked what size the chicken was is because I was going to suggest what ChooksChick is suggesting. Actually I am glad she let you know because she has detailed information on how to do this. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Check her bottom for maggots.

7. charsbird

charsbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Vermont
    OHHHH, be sure it's Car Starter Fluid.I know someone who used Charcoal Lighter Fluid!!! I can't imagine how horrible that must have been for the poor chicken to die.

8. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    Thanks all. I don't think I could even do the started fluid thing...although if I'm going to have chickens I suppose I have to figure this stuff out [​IMG].

Why check for maggots? Just wondering?

I found a bird sanctuary nearby who put her down. They were great and most likely my new favorite charity. If anyone hears of anyone else in Denver who needs some help, let me know and I can direct them to this place.

Thank you...what would I do without this forum??!

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I'm really sorry you had to go through this. Cross-beaked birds often take stresses harder than others because they have to work so much harder to eat, drink and preen. I'm glad you found a way to give her a peaceful end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by