HELP PLEASE!!!! Chicken with Coccidiosis! UPDATE: She passed away

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoultryQueen29, Dec 4, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    My 9 week old Barred Rock (I think) has cocci. I asked my local farm and they also think it is cocci. She huddles in one place with her feathers ruffled up and her head drooped down. Her eyes are almost always closed and she has diarrhea. The diarrhea is brown with some blood and white stuff in it. She was very pale yesterday but has her color back today. I gave her vinigar water yesterday until I could find an antibiotic for cocci but I drove for 3 hours and then got a medicine at TSC where the guy said he treated his chickens for cocci with it though it wasnt specifically for that disease. Is there anything else I can do for her? She is my favorite and I hate to see her like this. She was unable to walk this morning. Every time she tried she fell over on her side. Is she too far gone for help? Please help me I cant lose her [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm treating the rest of the flock today too but i want to know that i'm doing everything right. I have put the BR in a dog cage in my garage so the rest of them have less of a chance of catching the sickness.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Please please please [​IMG] She's just barely clinging to life. Should I just let nature take it's course? She cant eat or drink without help and she cant stand up or walk. Please please help me [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Which medication did you start her on? Corid or Sulmet? If so, then that's good. If not, then you aren't treating the coccidiosis, according to what I have read.

Yes, you have to dropper or syringe the medicated water (mixed in solution- not just straight medication) alongside the side of her beak in very small quantities when they don't want to eat or drink when sick. (But some are not so sick and do eat and drink.)

When I have a large flock then I just let nature take its course with them on the medicated water- too hard to individually dose them all! But you should see improvement in 24 hours or so- even with the bloody poos.

If you don't have a dropper or syringe then dipping the beak might work.

Definitely the whole flock should be treated. I have had to retreat also with the Corid, as the bloody poos came back after a few days.

Keep us updated or let us know if you have further questions. If you don't see improvement in a day or two then I'd consider another diagnosis. She is at the prime age for coccidiosis, though.

5. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yesterday night I drove 3 hours trying to find medication that I could put in the water for coccidiosis but all I could find was Tetracycline Hydrochloride powder and the person at tractor supply said it worked for his chickens with coccidiosis so we took it. There were no other poultry medications at any of the stores we went to. We even called a bunch of vets. I am using a spoon to give her the medicated water because I dont have a dropper. I gave the rest of the flock the medication, too. If she is still with us tomorrow i'm going to call a vet that specializes in poultry (they werent open this weekend) to see what they can tell us or do for us. There are just so many diseases she can have that i'm not sure i'm treating her for the right thing. Maybe the vet will let me take her there and see what she has.

Any idea where I can get the right medication if the vet doesnt have it?

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Wish I knew enough to be of help to you.
    Good luck with her...

7. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thank you [​IMG]

8. Blue Ninja

Blue Ninja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    In the meantime, try offering hard boiled egg yolk mixed with yogurt or cottage cheese. That should help to give her strength.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I wish you could get some corrid or sulmet or sulfadimethoxine pronto, and make sure she gets some of that in her. I had 2 near deaths door, and gave them each a drink with a syringe and in their water, and they got better fast.

I wonder if they sell any of these at Petsmart-maybe for other pets?

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Poultryqueen, you can get Sulfadimethoxine from amazon.com, and for $4, you can get it Tuesday. That's what I use. Works fast. The med is $15.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by