Help please chickens are getting heads taken off

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CATNMAINE, Oct 14, 2012.

1. CATNMAINE

CATNMAINE New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    So I am totally new to raising chickens....We have 21 well 22 now chickens and 2 roosters . Something took the head off of one of my sweet silkies last night. We have been trying to get rid of the roosters because they are so aggressive to the hens and to me with no luck . We don't know if the roosters could have taken the head off the silkie or something else. Our coop is very secure(at least we thought so) and we lock it up tight at night.

Any help would be awesome. And any help on how to get rid of the lovely roosters would be great as well . They truly are pretty.......

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] though I'm sorry it is under difficult circumstances for you.

Removing the head sounds most like a raccoon, though there are other predator potentials. What type of wire do you have for the sides of your coop/run? If it is anything larger than 1/2" hardware cloth, what will sometimes happen is that a raccoon, who can reach a paw through, will entice a chicken over, and then grab it by the head and pull it through that way.

Do you have some pictures of your set up that you can post, that will make it easier to give you answers?

3. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    I agree sounds like a racoon. maybe a fence ( no climb) or something like that around the coop with poultry wire around the bottom as well up 18
    ' to 2 feet

4. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    my friend with chickens came home one day and found every chicken dead laying on the ground by the coop fence with there heads off. later he watched the neighbor dog go up to the last chicken when it stuck its head through the fence to eat grass on the other side, and it bit the head right off....

5. HSCMorgans

HSCMorgans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Bath, NY Steuben County
    I had a chick have its head taken off... Enclosed securely in its coop.. Determined it was either a rat or small weezle of some sort as there was rat type hole dug up into the coop along the wall....

6. Peepsicle

Peepsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Cali
    Definetly a raccoon. If your using poultry wire/fencing, don't. The holes are to big. Use hardware cloth. It works really well for us. Then, so things don't dig under your coop, slip a 16-inch-wide-and-however-long-your-coop-wall-is-long piece of the hardware cloth under your walls. Use a really long nail to nail it to the ground. Cover that with dirt. GOOD LUCK!!!

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    sorry about your loss. i agree with everyone else, dog, racoon or both

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your problems. Best of luck!

9. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC....Sorry about your loss

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry to hear about your predator problems :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by