1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Please, Chicks died with swollen navel

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WinklerFarms, Mar 20, 2012.

1. WinklerFarms

WinklerFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    I just finished a hatch yesterday with 15 out of 20 hatching. One was severely deformed so I culled it. four others have died and one is about to die. They were week with slightly swollen navels. They wouldn't fluff out either. This is only my fourth hatch ever and I am still learning. I am thinking they may have an infection. Three of them had some white discharge that I think came from the navel but I cannot be sure. They were strong enough to hatch but became very weak shortly after which would suggest the yolk having an infection right.

The other chicks all seem great and are happily eating and drinking already. I know they don't need to yet but the other ones couldn't get up to eat or drink if they wanted to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
  3. WinklerFarms

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    Interesting thread but none of those fit my problem. Some of mine never hatched but those were upside down pips and pipping through a vein.

My problem is the ones that did hatch and then died several hours later. One of mine is still alive but I don't think it will make it. Despite my best effort it cannot stand and can barely lift its head.

thanks for sharing that thread though, I will bookmark it for future use

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Could you snap a few pics? That could help identify what is wrong with your little guy. I hope he makes it.

5. WinklerFarms

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    The one that is still alive looks perfectly normal but is just weak, he had a swollen navel but that has subsided. The 4 that already died had swollen navels but weren't really bloody. They are already disposed of so I can't get a pic (should have thought about that) All the researching I have been doing is pointing me towards infection but I am hoping someone will chime in here to help me confirm that. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by