Help Please chicks on their way!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lethalfire, Aug 9, 2014.

1. lethalfire

lethalfire Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    Help please I was just informed that my 6 silkie chicks are on their way. They are 1-3 days old NOT weeks. They have already been
    started on medicated chick feed. Is there anything else I need to do other then stick the beaks in the water so they know to drink and keep the brooder clean? I want to keep them healthy and not get sick. I have never raised chicks before. You wouldn't think I would be so scared as I raise and handfeed baby parrots all the time but that is different lol.

Please tell me what I need to do so they don't get sick. I will be sure to post pics when they arrive.

2. sillers97

sillers97 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Congratulations on your new silkie chicks! And as a chick raiser i would say to give fresh water everyday and i usually put a electrolytes and probiotics in their water when they arrive. I suggest Save-A-Chick

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Oh being nervous is totally normal! I was nervous too!

When they first arrive they'll be peeping.. a lot! This means they are stressed and cold so obviously get them warmed up and settled immediately. Dip their beaks in water with either a little sugar or ACV to boost their immunity and then put them under the heat. Also, be sure to check for pasty butt when they first arrive. If they do have it, wash their vent, apply vaseline or coconut oil and check on them frequently.

It's normal for them to not do much of anything on the first day. On the second or third day they should be running around, eating, drinking and exploring. If they are still huddled under the heat and peeping, something is wrong. If you notice them not eating then use you finger and tap at the food. The curious ones will run over and quickly discover the food.

Make sure to not use newspaper for a bedding as this will damage their legs. For the first week you may consider using rubber shelf liner. Shavings might confuse them and make them think its food.

Only use medicated feed for their first month. Then switch to non medicated.

Ok! The big day is arriving![​IMG] Have fun and enjoy them![​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. lethalfire

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    Thank you for all the advice. Note to self research pasty butt lol. I do have the brooder set up with shavings but I can put some paper towels over them if need be. And I do have a constant supply of Braggs organic ACV (it comes in handy with handfeeding and the parent parrots also) she is sending a small bag of the medicated chick starter with them so Monday morning I will go to my local feed store and purchase enough to last a month.

Thank you for the heads up on the not doing much for the first 1-2 days, I probably would have started panicking if not prepared for it.
    I am sooooo excited and nervous LOL.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    You can go ahead and use the shavings. Just be sure to provide grit since the chicks will probably eat some of the shavings.

Glad I could help:)

6. lethalfire

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    Uhhhmmmm not to sound stupid but the grit I have is for my older chickens, is that stuff small enough for baby chicks? Do they make grit in a size for baby chicks?

7. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    They make grit specially for chicks.

8. lethalfire

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    ok thanks, will put that on my list of things to grab Monday at the local feed store.

9. lethalfire

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    Chicks are here!!!!! Oh My Goodness, I knew they would be small being silkies and all but I NEVER imagined they would be THAT small. They are soooooo cute. 2 and 4 days old. There is definitely one small black one that is a 2 day old I'm kinda worried about that one, it seems weak compared to the rest even though it's eating. So this morning I stuck it's beak in the water with ACV in it and it started drinking again, I have a feeling it wasn't drinking.
    And piggies OH MY! I put food in a feeder that I figured would last them about 3 days (there are only 6 of them) and when I got up this
    morning it will definitely be filled up before the end of the day.
    I am going to the feed store today and getting some medicated chick starter (they came with a small bag of it) save-a-chic and some chick grit, phew!
    Lol I will definitely get some pictures up today. THANK YOU everyone for all the help and the advice! Oh and checked and no pasty butt on any of them, will continue to check that.
    Who would of thought it was going to be sooo stressful lol.

10. lethalfire

Aug 1, 2014
    Illinois
    Pictures as promised!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might get better pics of them later, I didn't want to disturb them too much while they were sleeping or trying to lol. They were
    suppose to be buff and black but I'm thinking they are partridge and black :( I really wanted buff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by