Help Please-Cochin-Day 23-Pipped 26 hours ago-Yes Chirping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmorgan79936, May 21, 2019.

1. mmorgan79936

mmorgan79936 Songster

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    Help! I have a Cochin on day 23 pipped 26 hours ago and yes he is chirping away in the egg. I did wet the pip hole (I saw this as a tip) What can I do if anything from this point? Was told NOT to help it but I am afraid he for some reason can't get out. He is the only lone surviver from a Morely China made incubator I tried. I moved the egg to a Brinsea on Day 22 about an hour before he pipped. Before throwing all the eggs away I just wanted to give them another chance if still alive. (Again read this tip somewhere once realized the incubator was not right) The screen on the Bator read 70% Humidity but decided to check it with 2 thermostats 1 read 98% the other 94% so that's when I realized humidity was way to high.

Attached Files:

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Did you "wet" the membrane with water or oil?
    It's been said to apply coconut oil or oil or vaseline to the exposed membrane to keep it from drying. I'd give it more time to hatch it's self but let the more experienced peep in ... @Pyxis @sylviethecochin @oldhenlikesdogs

sylviethecochin likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would enlarge the pip hole slightly to see if you see any blood yet. Blood means it's still absorbing the yolk. If no blood I might chip a bigger hole to see how it's doing. If you see blood stop, try to free it's head a bit than let it be for a bit.

I have helped some out that couldn't quite do it. I take my time. Worse thing is for you to help too much and than realize it's still absorbing the yolk. So use your own judgment.

4. mmorgan79936

mmorgan79936 Songster

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    Thank you I chipped away at the pip hole. There is no blood at all but did notice the membrane is tightly wrapped around so I put a tiny small amount of oil on it and around the egg and put it back in. It is very active trying to get out

ChickNanny13 and oldhenlikesdogs like this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You can slowly help it. If it's shrink wrapped it will need some assistance. I usually leave them to kick themselves out the bottom, and I help them remove the lid if they need it.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  6. BielefelderHen

BielefelderHen Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I had exactly the same problem, with a partridge cochin chick. it was still cheeping, but seemed to have given up trying to break free

I took the egg out and with a wet cloth wrapped around it and under a heat lamp I peeled the edges of the pip away, and then put the egg back in the incubator. The chick did the rest by itself, and now I have a healthy cute cochin chick, looking like a pullet!

Just hatched:
    20190429_131155.jpg

3 1/2 weeks:

20190521_132544 (2).jpg

mmorgan79936 and ChickNanny13 like this.
  7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :love

8. mmorgan79936

mmorgan79936 Songster

Jun 26, 2012
    Elgin Oklahoma
    Thank you seeing your pictures give me hope for this girl/guy. He made it out but had the umbilical cord still attached took a bit to get that off but it left a piece behind looking like he now has an outie? Will this eventually fall off? I worry about it because it seems to be really struggling to gain stability. He hatched about 4 hours ago. I am leaving him in the Bator for 24 hours or you think I should get him out and put him with the others that hatched on Sunday giving him probiotics? He is very active falling all over the place. Here are his pics right now.

Attached Files:

Pyxis and ChickNanny13 like this.
  9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'd give him time to get his footing, and dry a bit, than I'd move.

ChickNanny13 and mmorgan79936 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: