Help Please!!!!!! Dead Chick!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Nov 7, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I was made to move my 2 day old Serama chicks into the garage (stupid inlaws)
    Anyways they have been in there since last night and were all acting fine an hour ago.. I had a weird feeling and went down to check on them and my beautiful little black chick (the first to hatch) was on her back, dead....
    Her pupils were white... what causes that?

Everyone is inside now in our room and they can kiss my butt! Im not losing another chick!!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    We need more info--

What type of bedding?
    Heat source?
    Temps in the brooder?
    Are they eating and drinking?
    Poop on butt?
    Type of feed?

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    like I said she was acting COMPLETELY normal an hour ago! just like any other healthy chick!

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Sometimes they have something wrong internally--be it a digestive problem or a heart condition.

Still- I would check the temp in the brooder to make sure they aren't too hot or cold. Any cooking thermometers around?

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Your facebook page doesn't mention temp, heat source? Pennsylvania is pretty chilly a bit earlier than Texas, and we've already had our first hard freeze. Nice pics, but the one dark one didn't look good even with the group of chicks. Sorry I can't be more help.

7. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:No.. the only thermometer I have is a reptile tank thermometer that I THINK is off by 15*.. it might even be more..

8. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:What does that have to do with anything?
    It actually got to 85* here today and is sitting nicely at around 65* which is better then what it has been here lately at 40*.
    This is the warmest day/night in a while. they had a heat lamp.
    there were 2 babies that had hatched early morning on the 5th an that group photo was before they were completely dried.

9. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Because the chicks need to be kept at 100 degrees. So even if it is 100 degrees in the brooder at 3 pm, the ambient temperature may drop the brooder temperature to a level to cold for the chicks to survive.

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:I was asking what my FB page has to do with anything.
    they were in the garage. it stays the same temp at the house. my inlaws are weird and my MIL apparently doesnt like being cold so they put base board heaters in there incase it gets below 60*. so temps in there are pretty constant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by