Help Please!!!!!! Dead Chick!!!

Lack of circulation due to death.

Or an accumulation of dander dust on the surface of an eye ball?

Quote:
It wasnt dust because I use the pellet bedding an had just changed it today so none of it was broken down enough to gather on the eye..
The lack of circulation one, would you know the time frame of when that would have started?

the white eyes is because it died....one of my Gold Comets died, and within an hour or two, comb was black and eyes were white.

I had a 2 day old Calf White, just die...no reason, the other 9 I got with her, are great....sometimes they just die.

A heat lamp is a must, unless inside..if you moved them outside, if I read correctly, you need a thermometer, you can get a cheap one for like $2.oo at walmart...

they can chill and die that way also.

I don't think people are noticing that the OP typed answers into the quoted list of questions?
When I first looked at the post, I thought the OP was directing me to their FB page for answers to the questions.

The chicks need to have high temps 90-95 in the first week of life. That is why 250 watt heat lamp bulbs are used. Having the lamp very high will not provide enough heat if the ambient temperature is below 60.
I raised my chicks in a garage in July and still needed my EcoGlow brooder heater for the first few weeks...
You need to get an accurate, reliable thermometer. I'm in NJ--nights have been pretty cold, even though the daytime temperatures in the past few days have warmed up into the low 60's.
There have been 20+ degree swings in temperature--not conducive for young chicks.
Please get a thermometer and keep it in the brooder-that is the only way you will know if the temperature is safe.

I don't think people are noticing that the OP typed answers into the quoted list of questions?

Good catch, no indeed I didn't notice.

To the OP:

You need to get yourself a good thermometer asap. My best guess at why this would happen is because the other chicks piled on top of this one because they were cold and it got suffocated, especially if you say that they were running around one moment and two hours later this one is dead. i think it is too cold in your brooder and you need to lower your lamp so that the temp registeres between 90 and 95 degrees.​

Thank you everyone! I did lower the heatlamp around 3am this morning after I put them back out in the garage and they seem to be doing perfectly fine! I also calibrated my thermometer and found out that it is 20* off so now I know the range it is suppose to be at. And thank you GS for catching that!!!

I guess I am lucky I keep mine in the basement until they are about 4 weeks, I hardly ever loose one I use heat lamps. You have to keep the poop off their rear I have found out the hard way. I feed Sothern States Starter grow, good results. Rn

Well everyone is still up and doing great still!! Their just as rotten as ever and are gaining their own charactors! I think lowering the lamp did alot of good!
knock on wood we have been doing great with no pasty butts in this batch of babies!

Back
Top Bottom