Help, please! Easter Egger sex, plus a few more.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MotherOfCluckers, Jul 22, 2019.

1. MotherOfCluckers

MotherOfCluckers In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2019
    Okay, backstory. I grew up with chickens as a small child, but have been a city dweller for many years. I’ve recently become a backyard chicken keeper trying to sex cockerels and pullets and decide where to send the men.

I got all of these around Memorial Day weekend as “day old chicks” and I’m having a hard time with the EE in particular. I feel confident that one of my Cuckoo Marans is a cockerel (the most curious and hungry member of the flock), and one is a pullet. I don’t see how to attach images in the middle of text, but I will attach them as the first two images. The third chicken I feel confident is a pullet is the barred rock. They’re all three from a farm store and look basically the same to me. All were labeled as pullets.

The Easter Eggers came from a local backyard hobby hatchery as straight run. One of them has a weird tail. Almost no tail, but not rumpless? I don’t know. I’ll attach that one in the middle of the other two, although none look alike. I’m thinking one is a pullet and two are cockerels?

Also, I have this Polish-Silkie mix and I have no idea if its Billie Holiday or Billy Idol, but she/he is the most afraid and low in the pecking order.

Any and all responses appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. MotherOfCluckers

Jul 21, 2019
    The pictures totally didn’t post in the order I selected them. Sorry!!

3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Well, I see one barred rock cockerel, and two EE cockerels.

sourland and MotherOfCluckers like this.
  4. MotherOfCluckers

Jul 21, 2019
    That’s what I thought...although the barred rock cockerel is supposed to be a cuckoo Marans, and his feet are totally pink. Idk how true the yellow vs pink feet are though. I can’t have roosters in the city limits. I felt certain, but I appreciate the feedback.

So, the EE pullet would be this one?

Attached Files:

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, she is the pullet.

MotherOfCluckers likes this.
  6. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Yes, I didn't see the feet well enough to say the color, but yes... white would indicate cuchoo marans.
    And yes, that's your EE pullet.

7. MotherOfCluckers

Jul 21, 2019
    This is the so called Marans. I don’t know if you ever know what you’re getting from Rural King. They use Hoover’s Hatchery here.

Attached Files:

Frazzemrat1 likes this.
  8. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    That's a tolerant dog!!!!
    yep, looks like a marans.

9. MotherOfCluckers

Jul 21, 2019