Help please.....Eye injury!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lagriega, Mar 6, 2015.

1. lagriega

lagriega Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2014
    Not sure what to do......My roosters eye was injured......His eye is now closed just happened today and it was bleeding. Starting to get a tiny tiny bit puffy. I do not know if the injury is just the lid or area around the eye that was cut or if it is the puple. I did seperate him into his own cage and he did pick at some food when I hand fed him. I have never delt with an eye injury and not sure what to do or just let heal alone!!!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can use Vetericyn Eye gel in the eye, or if you don't have that, clean the eye with saline and apply either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment twice a day into the eye. It may be difficult to figure out if the eye itself is damaged for up to a week when the swelling goes down. Hopefully it was just an injury to his eyelid. Eye infections from injuries can lead to blindness if not treated.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. lagriega

Sep 24, 2014
    Thank You Eggcessive.....I will have to go to the feed store tomorrow......The only thing I have is the Triple Antibiotic.....should I do that tonight or can it wait till tomorrow......I just came in and we have @ 8" of snow......If it is important I will go back out and do it now!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Personally, I would use the Triple Antibiotic ointment. The others are fairly expensive, but they are especially used in the eyes. My polish chicken suffered an eye injury, and did just fine with Neosporin.

5. lagriega

Sep 24, 2014
    Eggcessive......Got him all fixed up tonight.....could not make him wait till tomorrow......cleaned it out like you mentioned then used the Triple Antibiotic.... it seems that this made it easier for him to open his eye. Will use this till I can get something
    stronger for the infectionin case I need it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by