Help Please First Time Hatching Egss!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Oct 9, 2011.

1. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Well I read on this website about a lady hatching an egg from trader joes. I want to try it out. I bought fertile eggs from trader joes but i had to put them in the fridge becuase my mom insisted they would spoil. So last night I built an incubater but I dont no if it will work. I have no thermometer that will telll me the tempature or humidty I'm going by feel, and it's in a little cooler. Help me please with the incubater the eggs have already spent one night in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2011
  2. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    You should definitley get yourself a thermometer and a humidity meter. They are not at all expensive and you really need them.
    Temperature and humidity are critical for hatching.

Temperature to low or to high the embryo will die.

Please read the info in the the "Learning Center" in the header at top of the forum.

Also there are some very good links to threads poste by other forum users.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  3. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Fascinating! Please follow up and let us know if it works! Good Luck!

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Well, the first thing I would do If I were you is edit your post, you aren't supposed to post your age on Back Yard Chickens forum, if your are a minor. But I would say to go to Wal-Mart, and get a thermometer, and tell us how you made the incubator, or show some Pictures. I am the same age as you. I am curious as to how the incubator was made. You NEED a thermometer though. You should be able to get some kind of thermometer from a store near you. It may not be digital, but it sure would be a greaAAt big help.

5. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Ok

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...isp=inline&realattid=1382166193885937664-1&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...isp=inline&realattid=1382166238313988520-1&zw

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...isp=inline&realattid=1382166248430764032-1&zw

As you can see the cooler is little. I dont know if im candiling right its been about a day and a half so all i see is the yolks shadow, i dont know if thats good or bad and as for the thermometer this is a secret from my parents if it hatches Im gonna give it to my neighbor do you think the incubater is working the egss feel warm not like hot im mean there warm when i hold them.

6. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    i candeled them !

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Here is a simple incubator I made out of a styrofoam cooler.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I added a fan and a dimmer switch and now the temperature is more stable and adjustable.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I also put some holes to help regulate the temp and humidity which I cover with b lack take and when I want more ventilization I take take off of a hole.
    [​IMG].

8. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Cmom Wow You've been hatching a lot. That dimmer switch works for you. Awesome. I have a wafer thermostat incubator, and a water heater thermostat cooler incubator.

This is my first time to see the picture of the little yellow chicks that hatched out of it. That's a lot of fuzz balls.

9. leghornlover@123

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    My incubater is a quarter size of that:( i really hope they hatch

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by