Help please for soon to come ducklings!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by theduckgirl4110, Aug 12, 2013.

1. theduckgirl4110

theduckgirl4110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Hi. I had two ducklings with the same food and water dish as in the pictures

. I am getting two more ducklings soon. When I had the first two I didn't have the food and water dishes on anything so I cleaned their brooder twice a day. But I wanted some help this time around with my new ducklings. I want to minimize the amount of water and wet food that gets on their bedding cause every one that has had ducklings knows how much of a mess they make. I've heard of the cookie drying rack over a pan but I'm not sure that I want to use that. Something similar would be because I don't have those two things. Thank you and I would appreciate pictures. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    food dish waterer until they outgrow it [​IMG]

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Ducks need a water dish that they can dunk their whole beak into to clean out their nares after they eat. I used a large sour cream container with the lid on and a large hole cut out to leave about an inch lip aroung the opening (you may need to start with a smaller container at first, but the idea is the same). Their water goes in there. Place that container into a larger, low container like a pie or cake pan. I used a recycled rubber feed dish from TSC. The outside container will catch a lot of the mess.

To keep the food from being scattered all about (which is where a lot of the smell comes from) moisten the food and only put in as much as they will eat within a few hours and make sure they empty it before you refill it. I often use fermented feed and they lick the bowl clean.

We used a rubber 100 gal. water trough for the brooder. When we cleaned it, we could dump in hot water and pull it out with a shop vac. For the bedding, we used shredded paper (cheap,VERY absorbant and NOBODY is going to try to piece together your old bills [​IMG]) covered with the large size wood shavings to give them a dry place to lay. I built up the side away from the food and water for their nest area to help keep it high and dry.

Of course, even with all this, I vowed NEVER to brood ducks in the house again! [​IMG][​IMG]

I hope this helps.

3. theduckgirl4110

Mar 16, 2013
    Thank you. It did. I use a gigantic rubbermaid container and then they will move into a dog biscuit box ( which is bigger then it sounds ). I do know that the waterer in the picture isn't appropriate for ducklings. I was actually looking for ideas on waterers on here so thats what I'll do.

4. duckchix

duckchix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Connecticut
    I used an empty plastic juice container and cut a hole in it with enough room for the ducklings to stick their heads into the water. I put an old Pyrex lid under the juice box so if any water did drip out, the lid caught it and kept bedding dry. Worked really well for my ducklings.

5. theduckgirl4110

Mar 16, 2013
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by