Help please! Gender and breed? RIR and americauna

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Birkbabe, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Birkbabe

Birkbabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    Can you please help me with these 4 chicks. They are 8 weeks. Nobody is crowing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess:
    1, 4 cockerels
    2, 3 pullets

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    #1 is my only suspect of being a cockerel. #2-4 look like pullets to me.

4. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    All 4 of them are pullets. Also the first two are Easter Eggers, not ameraucanas.

5. Birkbabe

Aug 6, 2014
    Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.
    #1 was/is my biggest worry. Easter Eggers? I wondered if the store told us the wrong breed. Thanks!

6. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Most hatcheries call their easter eggers ameraucanas or americaunas or araucanas, even though they are not. So it is the hatchery they got them from that made the mistake.

7. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

This is somewhat misleading as there are a few hatcherys that do sell true Amaracanas, Myers hatchery being one, but if you bought the from a feed store they are most likely EE.

8. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

1- possible cockerel, red patches on wings makes me think that but right now the comb isn't red, so I'll go with pullet for now and EE

2- looks to be an EE pullet

3- looks to be a production red possible cockerel, but again to early to tell for sure

4- looks to be a production red pullet

9. Birkbabe

Aug 6, 2014
    Yes they are from a feed store. I'm happy either way. Just hoping #1 ends up being a girl.

10. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    I'm not sure about 1# and 2#

but, #3 and #4 are Production Reds. At this time I believe both are pullets, although in a better close up photo of #3 I might feel differently.

Want to tell for sure on your PR's- just so you always can tell? Check the saddle feathers (right in front of the tail.). Cockerels will have thin (no larger than 1/2" wide), pointy, extremely glossy feathers starting there. Also in hackle, and wing bows. Hen feathers in this hybrid are always fatter and rounded on edges. Rooster tail feathers are longer, curl more and have a pointed tip, usually beetle green although some can have red stippling.

L to R:
    Rooster tail feather, hen tail feather, hen saddle (or "cushion"), rooster saddle feather. The male's hackle will also somewhat resemble in shape the saddle feathers.

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy your chickens! They are all pretty!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by