1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Please Help! Mareks..?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DirtCreature, Oct 2, 2011.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    one of my chicks was dead when i got home today i noticed it or someone had pooped some bloody looking lump... one eye eas closed and the other was somewhat open.... now one of my other chicks is showing sings of not being able to stand and she is lathargic... is the mareks disease? what do i do to save the other chicks and the one that is showing signs of being sick besides separating the sick one (which ive already done) Ive never lost a chicken... ever. im scared and sad. please help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. toysmom

toysmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    [​IMG]I'm sorry that you lost your chicken and that another is sick. I don't have any knowledge of merk's so I am unable to help you. Maybe someone will answer that can help you soon.

3. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    i hope so. thanks.

4. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    and just now the other one died. she threw up some brown stuff, and thrashed around and then died.

5. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    first, only your state vet can tell you for sure. you would need to send the bird who passed away for the state vet to inspect. no one here can tell you what your bird(s) had/have.

that said, how old are your birds? how long have you had them? and what is their diet?

edited to add:

i was typing when you posted the above. sorry for your losses.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Oh my gosh. [​IMG] I have a decent knowledge of the disease. Now, how old are your birds? Have they undergone any sort of stress lately? What are they eating? Do they free-range? What is their housing/coop? How long have they had those symptoms?

7. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    i contacted the vet and they want me to mail the dead chicken to seattle and they will disect it to try to find out whats wrong with it and in the mean time just hope the rest of my flock doesnt die.... what...? they didnt say to separate any of the birds, watch them for certin signs.... or anything. IM SO MAD [​IMG] AND UPSET RIGHT NOW...

8. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    does anyone know where i can get the meds besides the vet for cocci? im pretty darn sure thats what they have....

9. tharooster12

tharooster12 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    same happen to me ma favorite chick a sebright silver died [​IMG] i was sadd anyways did u put dem outside or sumting? just asking wat u feeding em.....anyways sory for yur loss

10. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Quote:Well, it would help if you could answer questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by