Help please....Hen not wanting to go into coop at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbd3um1, Jul 24, 2013.

1. nbd3um1

nbd3um1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    I posted the other day about a hen we have that has been keeping to herself. Well tonight we went to lock up the coop and she was on the top fussing. We took her down and checked her out, nothing we can see is wrong. When we put her in the coop the rooster goes for her so I scared him off. She darted back out of the coop and tried getting back on the roof. I put her on the ground and got her some feed and water and just sat in the chair watching her and she jumped up in my lap and settled down after eating and drinking a little. Finally everyone else in the coop settled back down and I put her up on the roost.

Is she scared of the other hens and rooster? I have noticed that she has the smallest comb of all the hens, but we got them from the same store same day. Could being younger be an issue? Is she just frightened of the rooster and we need to send him away?

I am starting to worry about/for her.

2. tallmanfarm

tallmanfarm New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    We had somewhat of a similar situation here. We purchased 8 chicks and while they grew we had one rooster. All of the chicks seemed to "bully" one particular chick. The rooster (once able to be identified as a rooster) was particularily cruel to this one chick. As time went on it was quickly identified that this chick was "impaired". We cannot quite put our finger on as to the specifics because most all that she does most of the time is normal activity; eating, drinking, roaming, etc. However, sometimes her behavior is like she is "slow thinking" and almost extremely cautious to remain "alone". It is as though she is fine one moment and the next she is just "lost". She is a great hen and really great for all the children that we have and have visit. Tender, kind, and is never aggressive or even struggle to get away as they hold her. Long story short, I just assumed that because she is "different" than the others, they may have picked up on this when they were little. She even stays by herself in the coop - the others are up high and she stays below in her nest. They are no longer as mean but still "remind" her they are higher in their own "order".
    To be specific in answering your question - I am not sure how old your chicks are but this "bullying" almost stopped completely when the rooster figured out she was and eligiable "mate".

3. nbd3um1

nbd3um1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    Well they are 20 weeks. They used to all hang out together no problems. I am really thinking about saying good-bye to the rooster. We didn't get the rooster on purpose, thought he was a hen. It just makes me sad to look out outside and see her sitting on the roof almost all day by herself, and to run as soon as the door is opened like her life depends on it just worries me.

How long should I let this go on to see if it will get better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by