Help please--hen with droopy tail, and lethargic

KrankyEggs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
Hi,
Anybody have any ideas? Almost 2 months ago we noticed that one of our year+ old australorps was acting weird. She had dropped to the bottom of the pecking order, and she started at the top of it. So far, she's slowly gone downhill, but is still eating and laying eggs regularly.

I'll go through this handy list, if you give me some ideas. If we can't fix her, I think she gets the chopping block this weekend.

1) What type of bird , age and weight: Australorp, 1 year 3 months.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.: Droopy. Lethargic. Sits down a lot. Old-lady gait. She seems stiff and uncomfortable. Feathers are not very sleek. and they are fluffy at the base of her tail and top of thighs. Today she started panting. About 2 weeks ago, she stopped going up on the roost at night, instead nesting on the floor. She still lays eggs (up in the nest box, so she could get to roost if she wanted), eats, and has a red comb.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 months.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all? She eats pellets, and also have been giving her yogurt and vitamins the past few weeks, about 3 times a week. She also free-ranges about an hour at least per day, so gets greens, grit, and bugs. She has had some strawberries and melon, and boiled grains (from beer brewing).

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop looks normal. Not runny, and has a white cap.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Feeding her yogurt and PolyViSol.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? If she doesn't get better, she will get put out of her misery.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: A converted dove-cote, with wood-shavings for bedding.

I have seen walking get more stiff with some of my other older hens.
The thing that bothers me is the panting....is she panting all the time???
pick her up and place your ear under her wing against the body to listen to her lungs. Do you hear crackles or wheezing?
If so , it could be worms or Respiratory infection.
Have you also checked for sour crop, and or hip displacement or bumblefoot?

Keep posted once you check ,
Best Wishes,
Laura

I would feed her whatever she will eat, for my sick roo it was scrambled eggs with carrot shreds on it...just be sure to mix in vitamins too...If you can get her to a vet, that would be the best !

Back
Top Bottom