HELP PLEASE!! Hens or Roosters????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kimmi500, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Kimmi500

Kimmi500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Hi Everyone,
    I know this question has been asked a millions times! I have only had chickens for 3 months. I bought these two as hens at 15 weeks. They are now 24 weeks, no eggs yet, no crowing yet, no spurs, but they both have buds. A family friend was over yesterday and said they are roosters, so now I am really confused! Any thoughts you guys have on this matter would be great![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I think I'm seeing long pointy saddle and hackle feathers on both. So I think you have two cockerels. Both hens and roos have spur buds so that is not an indicator of sex. I've had hens with 2 1/2 inch wicked sharp spurs and roosters with practically none.

3. Kimmi500

Kimmi500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Thanks! At the risk of sounding stupid.....is that why they hold their tails to the side?

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I would say one cock and one hen...but this is a weird bunch...slow maturing cockerals, if they both are. I think you have a hen though. The cockeral would the be one to the left on the bottom picture, and the one in the front in to top picture.

5. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I think they are pullets. My Buffs are 3 and a half months old. You can clearly tell my rooster from my hens. I took these pictures today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Slow maturing cockerals. Sorry.

7. shannonruedger

shannonruedger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Constantine Mi
    I noticed you had red pullets from tsc. I also have 4 red pullets and am wondering what they will turn into I am hoping for buffs but one of them is slow at getting wing feathers and also has a line of rust colored feathers coming in on each shoulder blade. His ?hers tail is coming in by vertical rows instead of an upside down v like the other pullets. I hope its a Roo so I don't have to worry about introducing one later on. My chicks are about 3 weeks now and just had their first outing.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the one next to fence a hen, the other a roo....

10. RachelCheyenne

RachelCheyenne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Kentucky
    Well comparing them to Chicken_S's pictures, my opinion is two hens but I guess time will tell, good luck with what ever they are, they're beautiful :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by