Help please: How to fix an internal crack with wax???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shayna, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    One of the eggs I received in the mail yesterday showed a crack when I candled them. Today, before I set them in the incubator, I would like to put some plain unscented wax I have on the crack. I'm not sure how to do that, if it is safe to drip hot wax on an egg or if you cool it to a certain point before spreading it on. I would be very appreciative to know how it was done by those that were successful with it.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If the egg is leaking, it won't work.

Take a candle and use a lighter, let the hot wax drip over the crack to seal it.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I have honestly never been successful with this: what works better and is easier, in my opinion, is using a glue stick. Just smear it over the crack and let it dry and if it's going to develop it will. Good luck!

ETA: I have an egg in my incubator right now that is on day 16 with glue stick covering the crack and it's still kicking~

Like the other poster said though, if it is leaking, toss it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  4. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    The egg isn't leaking, in fact, if I wouldn't have candled it, I wouldn't have even known it was there.

I will try melting the wax with a lighter.

I don't have glue sticks around here, and unscented pure soy wax seems like the safest thing to use if I give patching it a try. It is the only one of a color I really wanted to have, so I really hope to hatch this egg if it's possible.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We use both wax and new skin on cracks when or if there is one, and have had success hatching using both. Good luck with your eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by