Help please! I brought home 4 chickens Sunday, 1 died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosegal, Jul 27, 2011.

1. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    the other is acting sick. When they arrived I noticed that their combs were very white, and overall, they looked malnourished. The one that died last night was a lavender orp supposedly 17months. The other one is a 6?yr. old D'Uccle and she looks terrible. She is in the garage where she is having runny white poop and some with a black substance in it. I am thinking parasites???Please let me know your thoughts.

2. credmond

credmond Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Could be parasites...Where did the birds come from? I have a small flock, and brought in an older bird with similar symptoms (the one in the garage).....I ended up culling the bird because she kept getting worse, didn't want her to suffer or get my other birds sick. Turned out where I got the bird, almost the entire flock had parasites...Sorry cant be more help. I know thats probably not what you want to hear, but thats just what happened in my case.

3. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I asked the person that had them for a few months and he said he treated them 2 months ago when he got them. I am worried about my flock and preventative measures too.

4. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Well for sure keep them isolated and change your shoes and clothes when you go between flocks until they are recovered! Good luck. Are they over heated? That might be part of the problem if so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by