HELP please :( I just accidentally severed a chicks toe :( what do I do?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meganne79, Apr 30, 2017.

1. meganne79

meganne79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. meganne79

Apr 8, 2017
    Colorado
    My fave chick tried to follow me out of the run and a shut her toe in the door. It's 80% severed including through the bone. I need to remove what's dangling then what?! These are my first chicks and she's 7 weeks old thanks

3. SomeHotChicks

SomeHotChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2017
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I don't know what to do. Is your chick ok?
    -Aryn

4. meganne79

Apr 8, 2017
    Colorado
    She's alert but I can't figure out what to do. We tried neosporin and wrapping it but the wrap immediately fell off.

5. SomeHotChicks

Apr 30, 2017
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I tried to look up something. is she still blooding?

6. meganne79

Apr 8, 2017
    Colorado
    Not much, I used corn starch but it is oozing. We did remove the part that was dangling with very sharp scissors. So it's like a messy amputation now.

7. meganne79

Apr 8, 2017
    Colorado
    I soaked it in water but don't know how to clean it right either since it must be excruciatingly painful

8. SomeHotChicks

Apr 30, 2017
    Oregon
    My Coop
    soak her in warm water but make sure she stay warm don't let her go outside in the cold all wet. Ill look more into it.

9. meganne79

Apr 8, 2017
    Colorado
    Thanks I'll try our local page too I appreciate it!

10. BIggoMamma

BIggoMamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    Clean it carefully with hydrogen peroxide. Infection will do more damage than the cut off toe. Then get the hen out of the hen house you cant have it walking around in poop and dirt with a cut like that. Put it in a box, a dog crate, a large empty scrubbed out watering trough etc. on clean newspaper or puppy pads. I would go with cheap generic puppy pads. The chicken needs something for pain. Get Lidocaine cream from the drug store, ask the pharmacist for some kind of OTC product with Lidocaine. Use a broad spectrum antibiotic cream like Muciprin or bacroban. Do not let infection set up. you might also want to soak it in an iodine wash product. Keep it bandanged. Use gauze padding and wrap it in gauze cloth bandages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by