Help please. I need advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fluffychickens, Jun 22, 2011.

1. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    I found one of my hens 5 minutes ago and she has no feathers on her head and it's covered with dried blood. The males have been hitting their hormones and been beating my hens. I put her in a cage by herself and my mom is still at work. Can someone tell me if their is anything I can do? There is no gaping hole but just a bunch of dried blood.

2. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Just clean it with warm water. Thats pretty much it. She should be completely fine. One of my hens went through the same thing when I had a young roo. She healed very quickly.

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Oh no!

Separating her is definitely the right thing for now. Make sure she has food and water in with her too, and something warm to sleep on. How does she seem in herself?

4. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Sounds like it's time to get some of those males out of the hen house.

5. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    She acts pretty well she moves her head and her eyes are bright. I gave her some water and put some water on her head. I think one reason they did this is 1 she is very hard to catch 2 we just lost 5 hens to a diases and the males want more girls and 3 she just recovered from the same diases I lost 5 birds to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by