Help please.. I think two of my chickens have broken legs wont use one of their legs. What do i do and How ?

MELISSASHENS

Hatching
Jul 28, 2020
Any suggestions on why or how my chickens broke their poor little legs. Not doing anything dangerous or hurtful. they are just becoming Pullets and the other day i noticed two of them limping and hopping on only one leg so i separated them from the others and not seeing any improvements.

Sorry to hear, have you examined the leg for swelling? In cause of frequent foot injuries is having roosts too high. They aren't sticking their leg out in front of them are they?

Are these chicks being integrated into a flock of older birds? Or has there been a stressful incident? The likelihood of two pullets breaking their legs at the same time is slim to none.

No i found that the problem was that the hatchery lady attached these small zip ties to them when they were hatched for some reason and i didn't understand but being that this was my first time owning chickens and she didn't instruct me on this that it was a normal procedure but common sense told me when they grew that this wasn't right so last night we removed them off of 3 pullets one was really badly swollen and concerned me as the poor baby began bleeding we wrapped her leg after applying some iodine and anti bacterial ointment the other two seem to be fine i separated the two worse cases and the third bird is getting on with the others pretty well. but my two are recuperating in a separate area . Will they recover? I only pray they do they ARE eating and drinking only a little though

No i found that the problem was that the hatchery lady attached these small zip ties to them when they were hatched for some reason and i didn't understand but being that this was my first time owning chickens and she didn't instruct me on this that it was a normal procedure but common sense told me when they grew that this wasn't right so last night we removed them off of 3 pullets one was really badly swollen and concerned me as the poor baby began bleeding we wrapped her leg after applying some iodine and anti bacterial ointment the other two seem to be fine i separated the two worse cases and the third bird is getting on with the others pretty well. but my two are recuperating in a separate area . Will they recover? I only pray they do they ARE eating and drinking only a little though

Oh wow that is not good. As long as the circulation wasn't cut off to the point of the foot/tissue dying they will probably recover.

Back
Top Bottom