Help, Please! Injured and Pecked Polish Rooster! (Edit- Graphic-ish Pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chic_girl, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    I just went out to the coop, and found my Polish cockerel slumped over and fluffed up, and generally not looking too good. His crest and head feathers have been plucked clean off, his head is bloody, and there's a small hole in the middle of his head where the other chickens have pecked into his head.

I brought him inside, cleaned off the blood and liberally applied Neosporin. He's looking weak, and keeps dropping his head to fall asleep while standing. I put him in a cardboard box in my kitchen, so he can rest where it's warm and quiet. He's really not looking too good, but maybe he can bounce back.

Can somebody give me advice on how to care for his head?

Pictures are kind of graphic-
    Here are some pictures- I chose the least gruesome pictures, but I still find them gruesome... Then again- I can't stand looking during bumblefoot surgery when my mother lances chicken feet.

Here is my rooster staying hunched over and fluffed up- he was staying awake today- yesterday, he kept falling asleep on his feet.
    [​IMG]

A picture of his plucked head- I cleaned off a lot of blood- the skin on top isn't broken, but all the feathers had been plucked out.
    The broken skin area is that little hole in the center of his head.

[​IMG]

It seems pretty deep, and his head is so shiny because there's Neosporin on the area.

[​IMG]

Poor guy- I hope he recovers his strength soon, and starts eating and drinking.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. Chic_girl

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    I should elaborate more...

This head pecking isn't a new development in my coop. I had two Polish roosters- father and son. Both Polish roosters have had their head feathers relentlessly pecked off by the Barred Rock hens in my coop, and each time, we would cover their head's in Rooster Booster anti-pick lotion. The Rooster Booster was supposed to taste bad and turn their feather's blue to disguise the blood feathers.

Two weeks ago, we found the father dead in the coop, where his head had been pecked out, and there was a larger hole in his head as well. I think this is the same thing, but we just found the younger Polish sooner. I'm hoping that we can keep him inside until he has his streanth back, then put him in 'chicken jail', or our isolated area inside the coop, where he can see his ladies, but not get hurt by them. In the meantime, what do you think I should do?

I just want some advice and prayers so my little rooster can heal.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Keep doing what your doing for treatment. Keep him separated until he is fully healed.

If the bullying continues I wouldn't risk his life and just keep him separated. But If you don't want to do that try pinless peepers. It helps stop pecking.

[​IMG]

4. Nevada Sun

Nevada Sun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    Not that I will be alot of help, but this did just happen to me and I posted it and pics on here.. my little silkie girl got pecked by the rooster and maybe more of the chickens but only saw him... I of course separated her asap in as I call it my hospital in the coop. I didn't put anything on her head as it was so raw I was afraid of anything getting on it an then causing more of a problem such as infection.. She did the same with the droopy head but soon after I left her alone and when I came back to see her she was much better... she had water and food the whole time and she started to eat.. I sure hope this happens for you..I am so sorry for this..I wish him the best

5. Chic_girl

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    Thank you for your advice!

I did consider the Pinless Peepers, but I hoped that if we just kept the rooster's heads covered with Rooster Booster, the pecking would stop. I'll consider them more seriously now.

The rooster is still just resting. He's pretty lethargic and droopy, but I'll give him plenty of time.

6. Chic_girl

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    Okay, so my rooster was in his box all night, and this morning, he seems a little more aware of his surroundings, but still listless and out of it.

I don't think he's been eating or drinking, so last night, and this morning, I dipped his beak in his water several times to make sure he got some water in him. I also tried to get him to eat moistened food pellets, and some of his favorite treats- chopped up strawberries and raisins. He ate a few pellets out of my hand, but after I more or less forced them into his beak.

His head still looks pretty raw, and the hole in his head still looks fairly deep. There's a high chance that he had a brain injury from the other chickens pecking at his blood feathers, and in that case, I don't know what to do. I suppose we'll keep him inside until he's more active and eating on his own, but if he doesn't improve, we might have to ease his suffering... [​IMG]

7. Nevada Sun

Nevada Sun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    That is to bad... I am glad he kinda had something to eat but doesn't sound good... hopefully someone else will post their feelings on anything else to do.. I am very new to chickens and what happened to my little silkie girl just killed me... I wasn't very happy with the bunch... but she snapped back real fast.. She and I were lucky... but no you don't want him to suffer... again sorry for this, hope he gets better as the day goes on!!

8. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    I got some Chlohexidine (sp?) from my vet last summer to treat some trauma wounds, although none were deep head wounds. Comes as soap and rinse; I used a syringe to gently flush out the deep pockets. I recommend keeping your bird's head wound covered with the antibiotic as you're doing, and if you decide to try to save him perhaps tube feed him. I just learned how several days ago, its not hard (or fun), but then my bird is sick, not head injured. If your guy is swallowing well you may can just tip his head up and drip water in his mouth.

Wow. Barred rock hens, huh?

9. Chic_girl

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    I'll look up some more information on how to tube-feed or force feed, if needed, but it certainly doesn't sound like fun! I'm going to give my rooster all the time he needs to rest up before we do anything else...

So far, 2013 isn't seeming like a good year for my animals- One Polish hen, Shanaynay, keeps having recurring bumblefoot on both feet, and her sister, Courtney has some sort of ear fungus or infection that has spread from her ear canal to form a crust over her eye- anyone dealt with something like that?

My Barred Rock girls are sweet to their humans, and clever enough to learn tricks, but they have a vicious streak when it comes to my bantams. They chase and peck my Bantam Brahmas, pull the feathers off of my Sultan, and peck the heads of all of my Polish. We keep them for their eggs, but I'm considering giving them to my neighbors to keep their rooster company.
    The weather isn't helping- there's snow on the ground, and my birds stay in their coop because they hate the snow, so I think they are bored. I've given them treats to keep them busy, but the treats only last so long...

10. WhiskiRanch

WhiskiRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    I am having a similar problem. I am losing my babies to being pecked. It starts out with a hurt leg and within 24 hours, I find them dead or almost dead with their heads pecked down to the skull. So far I have found 3 dead chicks and one almost dead chick that Elmer had to end the suffering to because it was so far gone. Right now, I have one with a pecked head but he is so vocal and squirrely when I try to handle him, which is how my heathy babies are, I couldn't bring myself to end his suffering. He is a fighter and wants to live. I have him out in the chicken coop where the heat light is in a dog carrier with shavings, food and water. He has been in the carrier for a couple days and hasn't improved much but hasn't gotten worse either. I'm not able to bring him in the house because we have a dog and since we heat our house with a pellet stove, the chick wouldn't stay warm enough in a closed room away from the dog. I'm assuming its one of my roosters but have yet to see it. I'm also seeing a couple of my adult hens with some minor baldness but no broken skin. One of my young roosters is also missing feathers along his "jawline". I don't think its big Papa Whiski rooster. He is so gentle with all my chickens. I can't see my hens doing this to my babies so that leaves the 3 young roosters (hatched early summer 2012). Should I start by getting rid of the young roosters and see if that helps? I hate going out there and hoping I don't find dead babies. I hatched out 5 batches which is a lot of chicks so I have plenty but I don't want them dying like they are. Any advice would be much appreciated. I will and get a picture of my chick when I feed this evening

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by