Help please! Injured baby chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HopieGirl4Ever, Mar 25, 2015.

1. HopieGirl4Ever

HopieGirl4Ever The Chook Artist

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    Today one of the broody hen's chicks got attacked by something. She has wounds under both wings, which I have sprayed with calendula spray. But my biggest concern is that one of her sides seems to be inflated with air and she makes a strange kind of popping sound when she peeps and when she breathes. Please help ASAP, I really want this little one to make it!
    Here are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is her inflated side. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And here's her 'normal' side for comparison. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. Mother Therese

Mother Therese Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    maybe bad bruising from being in something's mouth.
    check for teeth impressions around the outside of the swollen area. hope she gets better.

3. MeredithW

MeredithW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Minnesota
    Do you know what she got attacked by? I'm so sorry. I hope she makes it!

4. HopieGirl4Ever

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    I'm pretty sure it was one of my cats :(.
    I've had this problem before: the chicks find a way out of their enclosure, then a cat gets them.

5. HopieGirl4Ever

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    Any other recommendations? She is currently sleeping under her mother. I will see how she is in the morning...

6. MeredithW

Feb 19, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm not sure there is much you can do but wait and see. does she seem to be in pain or something?

7. HopieGirl4Ever

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    She is just very tired. She peeped happily when I held her, but almost immediately stared falling asleep. I can't really tell whether she's in pain, but I would assume she would be because of her wounds.

8. MeredithW

Feb 19, 2015
    Minnesota
    Yeah. I really don't know what to say. I hate when these things happen. What I do when one of my chickens or ducks gets injured, is I bring them inside and put them in a kennel overnight just because they are more vulnerable to cats and such when they are injured. Plus, other animals (especially chickens) tend to pick on the injured ones even more. So, I'm afraid if you keep her outside, she might not make it through the night. You could bring her in, and give her a nice blanket in a kennel or box with towels and stuff and a little food and water. I don't know if this will help, but you could try to soak her in lukewarm water in a sink or bathtub. That could help the swelling go down. You should probably keep her inside and away from other animals until she is better. If you leave her out, your cat could come back, and sense that she is injured, and then you would really have a problem. I don't know. This might work. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by