Help Please!! Interested in Speckled Sussex Need Some Information

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChiknKrazy, Nov 27, 2016.

1. ChiknKrazy

ChiknKrazy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2016
    Hi everyone,
    I'm interested in purchasing some speckled Sussex chickens but I am afraid due to what I've heard on the internet. I'd really appreciate any feedback and or truths to help me out. I heard that speckled Sussex can become morbidly obese and their legs buckle and break. I've wanted these chickens for so long and I was really turned off by this once I read it on the internet. I think the breed is absolutely gorgeous and would love love to own my own flock of these beauties and I've heard that they are prolific egg layers. My only concern was about the leg buckling and obesity, please please can anyone shed some light and truth on this breed and or experiences with this breed.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I've raised a few SS before and they are one of my favorite breeds. I didn't have the problems you've read about.

My girls were beautiful, ranged from very friendly to somewhat shy and were decent layers. While 1 of the SS I raised was pretty "round", she was no where close to her legs buckling/breaking.

You might like to read some of the member reviews on this breed:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/speckled-sussex

1 person likes this.
  3. ChiknKrazy

ChiknKrazy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2016
    Thanks so very much for sharing that with me and yes, I already read the reviews on the breed and no one stated anything like what I read. I know you can't believe everything that you may see/read on the internet and I wanted to get some clarity. Thank you so much for answering my qauestion, it definitely put my mind at ease.

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Glad to hear it! I personally think they are a wonderful breed and hope to have more in the future.

1 person likes this.
  5. Oneofthempeople

Oneofthempeople Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I have had my 4 about 6 months now and I love them; very curious bird like to know everything I do, I just stated to get eggs but they are giving me an egg a day. Have had no problems with them beside sexing them (good luck with that). They are a larger bird but built for it.

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I don't know what you have been reading or where, but both of those traits you found are not normal for this breed. They will not become morbidly obese unless you give them an inappropriate diet and limit their living space to the point that they don't get enough exercise. They are also not prolific layers, just moderate layers as with most dual purpose birds. I would imagine there is a reasonable chance of them going broody too, which of course will affect egg production.

I hope this encourages you to try some and see how you like them in reality.

Best wishes

Barbara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by