Help please.....is she egg bound?

Lb4paws

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2015
Wisconsin
Hi everyone-

Looking for advice.......I'm new to chickens this year......I got 5 hens that hatched April 1st.........one is an Americana.....I think I spelled that wrong.

Anyway, she has been laying well......roughly every other day.............she is my only bluish egg layer so I know when it's hers..........

Well, she hasn't laid an egg in about 5-6 days.........My sister and I aren't exactly sure when the last one was because we didn't really think about it until we didn't get one for about 3 days........

Is she in trouble?.....How do I know?

She seems ok. Active, eating, scratching activity. Of course we are at work all day but haven't noticed any unusual behavior. She is molting some right now. I've read that they do slow down come winter.

Thoughts please!

If she's acting normal, she's probably just taking a break. If you're very careful you can sometimes feel an egg in their "pelvic girdle". . Here is a picture that shows where an egg will be:

Often an egg can be felt here, but it's a little harder to feel if the hen is plump.

-Kathy

Just be very gentle. You should be able to feel the gizzard, it's on the left kind of next to their leg.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom