Help please, is this bumblefoot with pics (re-post)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Granny Hoffman, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Need a little help with this one. He/she has been limping for about 3 days now. I can't see any blood or puss like there would be an infection. No lump, no mass, just a little swollen.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Partridge silkie, about 12 or 13 weeks

2) What is the behavior, exactly. He/She is acting normal, eating and pooping normal. He/she gets around pretty good, but has been laying around more than normal.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? None

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No bleeding, little scab on top of its foot, doesn't seem to be anything broken. No other trauma that I can see

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Don't know of anything that happened to cause this.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. It is eating normal, has a choice of chick starter and grower pellets, drinking normal.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I soaked it's foot in warm soapy water this morning to see if a scab would come off, but nothing. The picture shows after I soaked it's foot. It does seem to be a bit swollen. I have him/her inside the house in a cage at the moment with a playmate, so he/she won't get lonely.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I wish to treat completely by myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. see below

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use It resides in a large coop and run with contractors sand for the floor of the coop and run. They free range most of the afternoon until dusk.

[​IMG]
    By the way if any of you know if it is a he or she, let me know. I know it's a little to early to tell.
    [​IMG]

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  2. Granny Hoffman

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Suggestions?

3. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Could that be bumblefoot... on top?

There are several threads on here to assist with that.

I, personally, would soak it in a some warm epson salts and watch her. If that is a scab, maybe it will soak off and you can see under it. Treat with neosporin and see how she does. I would probably bring her in the house to keep an eye on her.

Hope she feels better.

D

4. Granny Hoffman

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I have ready many posts on bumblefoot and it doesn't look like it. I have her in the house in a cage with a playmate to keep an eye on her/him. Any other suggestions.

5. Granny Hoffman

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Bump

6. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I would still soak with Epsom Salts and treat with neosporin... see what happens. Doesn't look too bad... and should heal as long as it doesn't get infected.

D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by