1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help please. its not working.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rendonhen, Feb 18, 2009.

1. rendonhen

rendonhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    rendon, tx
    We have a 8 day old chick that came to us with spraddle leg. We have taped it up with bandaides for the last 6 days. It is not any better. she is eating, drinking, and pooping. She has a hard time getting around. Not sure what else to do. Culling is the last resort, I will try anything. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say if you have it taped correctly, if she is eating, drinking and pooping then you've still got hope for her to heal. Hang in there.

3. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    I have always used vet-wrap (it does not stick to the bird, just to itself, and provides a soft but very firm support. Also, it is important to make sure the chick is on something very grippy - like a terrycloth towel. And feed her LOTS of calcium (ground up eggshells, avimin, or something like that) to help the bones produce properly. Low carb diet. Carbs promote rapid growth, which is one of the causes of spraddled legs.
    Let me know how the situation progresses!

4. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    If it is a hen I wouidn't hatch her eggs. Her offspring will most likley have the same defect . If it is a rooster It will be very hard for him to breed a hen.

5. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    Well, the defect could be genetic or it could be the result of being on newspaper or something without traction. Not uncommon when they are shipped in cardboard crates.

6. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    what is spraddle leg???

7. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    Someone suggested the liquid baby vitamins (forgot the name). It is in Walmart. This seems to have helped mine immensely. I've been using the white surgical adhesive tape (with cloth like exterior) cut in half which is easy to do. They flop around a little getting used to it, and may crawl for a little while. I'm wondering if yours are too loose? Mine came loose with the bandaids.

8. maymiegirl

maymiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    PA
    It is from not enough moisture at hatch. I saw a corrective splint made from pipecleaners once online. Here is one way:

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/problems/

Also there is a much better display of photos here:

http://www.thecozynest.com/pictures.htm Go toward the bottom of the page.

Give your chick time. Give him Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins and keep him splinted with something comfortable like this pipe cleaner method. MOST of them will correct themselves if handled correctly. Keep the baby on a non-slippery surface. He needs more than just a week or 2. Keep him splinted at least 2 weeks, ok? Have faith!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
  10. rendonhen

rendonhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    rendon, tx
    Thank you for all the replies and ideas. Im going to keep trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by