help please!!!! Lethargic chick wont move etc. Splay leg also? HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MakMurrayFarm, May 15, 2019.

1. MakMurrayFarm

MakMurrayFarm Chirping

May 8, 2019
    So I went to pick up my new duccles today.. just posted a post about how excited I was.
    I went to check on them and realized one isnt doing well..
    The other 2 are thriving.
    This one that I'm concerned about I believe has possible splay legs.. I put a bandage on as a support to see if that would help. The chick doesnt wanna get up , move really or barely open its eyes. Its sitting up but at this point I think it's just balanced on its brace?
    Doesnt wanna move. Chirping like crazy just normal baby chirps but eyes are closed and just doesnt care what I do to her I can move her any way eyes are staying closed. I picked them out of several and I REALLY dont think she was this lethargic earlier..
    She did have a BAD pasty butt along with 1 other but we fixed that as soon as we got home. Baby is just like balancing somewhat on its butt only... please help me.

Attached Files:

ErinOrr79 and The Phantom like this.
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Is the brooder too warm? Are they all eating?

MakMurrayFarm likes this.
  3. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    I'm sorry your baby isn't doing well. :(

Do you have any Nutridrench?

What sort of heat source do they have available?
    Any other symptoms besides lethargy and the spraddle leg?

MakMurrayFarm and The Phantom like this.
  4. MakMurrayFarm

MakMurrayFarm Chirping

May 8, 2019
    Brooder is perfect temp. I have a heat lamp for them.. Everyone is 100% fine except this one. They are both eating and drinking just fine, then this baby is just laid out.

The Phantom likes this.
  5. MakMurrayFarm

MakMurrayFarm Chirping

May 8, 2019
    I'm so sad !!!! I have a heat lamp.. the baby wont open eyes or even move. I'll post a picture

The Phantom likes this.
  6. MakMurrayFarm

MakMurrayFarm Chirping

May 8, 2019
    Just laying there lifeless.. breathing. But just not moving .

The Phantom likes this.
  7. MakMurrayFarm

MakMurrayFarm Chirping

May 8, 2019
    The only thing I can think of is it has something to do with the pasty butt. It's like we got that off ( warm cotton ball until it came off ) and the chick instantly went down hill. We were very gentle... I just know this baby wasn't like this a few hours ago. I'm so upset. This is the porcelain the color ive been waiting on what seems like forever. The other two are silver & mille fleur colored.. ugh! Ive never had a chick just instantly do a 360 and become lifeless.

The Phantom likes this.
  8. MakMurrayFarm

MakMurrayFarm Chirping

May 8, 2019
    This is all is doing. Pic attached

Attached Files:

The Phantom likes this.
  9. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I’m sorry. Sometimes they can just die for no reason. I don’t know what could be wrong. :hugs:hugs:hugs Maybe he will perk up. :fl
    @Eggcessive @casportpony

Willowspirit likes this.
  10. MakMurrayFarm

MakMurrayFarm Chirping

May 8, 2019
    I have no idea either. Literally devastated.. The breeder knew baby had pasty butt before I left and i swear that is what happened.. I have no clue. I think I'm about to loose the baby, lying there no chirping no moving etc. Beak opening and closing as its laying there. When i pick baby up it has no muscle control it seems like, neck just flops over body is limp. UGH!!!!!! My poor pretty baby..

The Phantom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: