Help please, little red mites on 2 day old chicks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Loveoursilkies, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Loveoursilkies

Loveoursilkies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    I've been battling mites on broody mom for weeks (this happened after I brought her in during extreme cold, we didn't want the eggs to freeze). They were getting better, actually, are much, much better, but now, on the 2 day old chicks, I see little tiny red mites on their face. I'm constantly scraping them off and killing them. I did put a little DE with a Qtip, I've been putting DE and Sevin on mom. DE is dusted around their cage area.Believe me, the numbers of mites are pretty low now, but I'm worried about the little ones. Should I just watch and keep killing them, applying a little DE? Is there anything else I can put safely on them, vaseline??? I will probably put mom outside (yes, they are in my laundry room) this weekend, but for now, she is a great mom and these 2 chicks survived so many odds, I need mom to keep them warm for now. Thanks for any help.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can also use a pyrethrin/permethrin spray or dust, available at feed stores as poultry dust, or lots of places as Adams flea and tick spray (for dogs.) If it comes down to it, I'd use the Sevin on the chicks. I know red mites are supposed to be harder to get rid of than other lice/mites. Maybe a search on here for red mites would tell you more. I'd look either in Predators and Pests or Emergencies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by