HELP PLEASE!!!! looks like stomach on outside, pic plus pics of new

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by donjr721, Nov 13, 2010.

1. donjr721

donjr721 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    last chick in incubator, 24 out of 30 ok, last one is out, it looks like its stomach is on the outside of its body, definately not the yolk sac. what to do?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Can you post a pic.

It could be something that will absorb back in/close up in a day or so as long as you keep it seperate so the other chicks don't peck at it. I've read where folks have had good luck tucking things in and using a dab of superglue to keep it closed up, and sometimes the hernia is so bad that the stomach really is hanging out and the chick has to be culled.

From your brief post I'm thinking it's a hernia, but I have no idea how severe it might be.

3. donjr721

Apr 1, 2010
    here is the pic finally.[​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    That's an unabsorbed yolk sac. I've never had one hatch with that much left to go. If it seems to be hanging in there othewise you might try wrapping in a wet paper towel, confining it to a cup so it can't move around and tear it (the big danger here) and give it a day or so to see if it will finish absorbing. In less severe cases it will often absorb and the chick will be fine, but I don't know about your little one--that's a lot of yolk left to absorb, you may very well end up having to cull. Hopefully someone who has actually seen one that large will chime in soon. [​IMG]

5. donjr721

Apr 1, 2010
    ok thank you

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  6. donjr721

Apr 1, 2010
    well i went in to wrap it up, i noticed it had already torn the yolk sac, thats what it was, i wrapped it anyway, any suggestions

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Definately yolk sack. The pinkish hue is probably from all the veins in the yolk sack, but it is definately the yolk sack. Hope he/she makes it!

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:If the yolk sack is torn it likely won't make it. I usually cull if they are that bad. No sense in them suffering IMO. [​IMG]

9. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I wish I had more for you. The big danger is that the veins in it get torn and the chick bleeds out. Wrapping it up and keeping it still is all I can think of, hopefully it will be enough. You might try a search on unabsorbed yolk sac etc. and see if you can find some other threads where this has been discussed...[​IMG]

10. donjr721

Apr 1, 2010
    thank you. i cut the thing off. not much blood. corn starched it. it seems pretty strong. might make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by