1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, please! Muscovy egg now a baby duckling-he is wet, what to do now???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by oldcrowfarm, Apr 14, 2012.

1. oldcrowfarm

oldcrowfarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Alba
    Our momma duck just took her new babies out of the nest, and this little guy had chipped away a hole in the egg. He is now out and peeping, but is wet, and we don't know what to do now. Heating pad? We are about 30 minuts from Tractor Supply to get heat lamp, so what to do 'til then??? Please help-there is an emotional attachement to the little fighter now...

Sybil

2. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    If you dont have another heat source you might be able to try a little indirect heat with a hair dryer against a side of the inside of a box (not anywhere near the duck) - make sure it is indirect heated air.

3. oldcrowfarm

Dec 26, 2011
    Alba
    We just got a heating pad turned on under him-he is wrapped in a towel in the house. Thanks so much for responding-is there anything else we need to do to dry him? He is peeping and wiggling around, but not standing yet.

4. oldcrowfarm

Dec 26, 2011
    Alba
    And (I forgot to say) I do have access to a regular goose-nesk desk lamp-the smallest bulb I have here is 40 watts.....would this help or hurt? Do I put any food near him? I only have hen scratch here at the house, but I think Tractor Supply might still be open-about 30 minutes away.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Won't need to eat for 24 hrs or longer. try the 40 watt. if you have a way to see what the temp is once you get it turned on the little one do that you want it at about 90ish not any lower. if you can put it into a small box with the light over head that should help to keep it warmer but just make sure to check temp you don't want to over heat it. try offering water tomorrow. if you have poultry vitamins save a chick or nutri drench put some into the water just to give a boost. Wheres Alba?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  6. oldcrowfarm

Dec 26, 2011
    Alba
    Alba is in East Texas-we are a very warm climate, but tonight there is lots of wind and possible rain. Thanks so very much for the information/advice. We have never done anything like this before-the momma duck usually takes care of everything! [​IMG]

David is checking the remp now, while the baby is on the heating pad. We will get a box ready. I assume we are now new "parents"? Or should we try to introduce the baby to the Momma? We free-range, so she is out near the water with the others now.

Again, thank you.

Sybil and David, newbies!!

7. oldcrowfarm

Dec 26, 2011
    Alba
    Temp is 95-is that too high?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    probably okay but don't let it go any higher, are you going to try and get this duckling back with mama tomorrow? rule of thumb is start at 90-95 and each week drop 5 degrees. Ducks don't need it quite as warm as chicks. Wait till fully fluffed out and then while she is out with the rest or after she goes in with her brood tuck the little on in with the rest. Play it by ear. I have Muscovies I just love them to pieces.
    they don't sleep out in the open do they? I think it might be better to wait till she takes her ducklings in for the night then slip the little one under with the rest. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  9. oldcrowfarm

Dec 26, 2011
    Alba
    Again, thank you. He is still peeping, and the ?yolk sac? appears to be getting smaller. Is it best to get him back to Momma? She has had several clutches of babies, and is a good Momma-love that Muscovy! She actually took in several of another ducks' babies when they all mingled together, and raised them all.

Ah, david said his eyes are open now-good news, we presume.

We DO know that we probably should have let nature take its course, but the little guy was such a fighter we had to try.

Temp is now 90.5 degrees.

He scooted around a bit, and now appears to be sleeping. He seems to be drying out, too. Lord, I hope this is good-David may be a big man, but he certainly has worked for this little guy!

Miss Lydia, thank you.

10. oldcrowfarm

Dec 26, 2011
    Alba
    They do (usually) sleep in the yard-they really are NOT caged-we live on a lake and they come and go as they please.....breakfast and dinner times every day, they are here! Quite tame, but not so that they let you pick them up. When we first got ducks, we simply didn't know anything, and thought it would be ok to let them go on the lake with the 3 that were already here. They love our dogs, and the dogs sort of look after the ducks and geese.
    We started with 5 ducks, had over 45, lost 22 last year to an otter, and they are reproducing like crazy again this season.

The baby is actually (it appears) to be fluffing his feathers! He hasn't stood up yet, but his little feet are busy!

Temp is up to 94, so we are raising the lamp up.

Thank you so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by