Help Please!!! my call duck layed a egg yesterday i put straw down but she has not made a nest what

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Call Duck Girl, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Call Duck Girl

Call Duck Girl New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    Somerset
    My call duck layed a egg yesterday i put straw down but she has not made a nest what do i do?

2. highlandhounds

highlandhounds New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    Hi,

I am not very experienced at all with duck breeding behaviors but I think you should not expect any nest. My ducks just find a spot they like, for instance under the wheel barrel in the garden, and lay an egg. Maybe call ducks are different, but my ducks lay over several days before showing any interest in sitting on the eggs - if they ever do. This fall I allowed one of my hens to lay four eggs before I picked any of them up. They all hatched in an incubator and are running with the flock now. I got my first ducks from a local gal who shows ducks and geese. I actually found an ad posted by her on craigslist and have since 'liked' the farm on fb. Her name is Meredith at Quacky Acres Waterfowl and Gamebird Farm. She had many call ducks at her farm and may be able to give you the info you need. Oh! If you are someplace cold I wouldn't leave the egg outside, it'll freeze solid.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Half of my ducks just drop their eggs on the way to the pond- lol! I wouldn't worry about it. If you want them to lay in the same place every day, just make sure they have a comfortable place with extra straw, and maybe keep them locked up a little longer in the morning. When I let mine out too early is usually when I find eggs in the yard or don't find any eggs at all.

4. Call Duck Girl

Call Duck Girl New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    Somerset
    Lol
    Ok thanks ive put some straw in a box do you think she will like it in there or should i just let her make her own nest on the floor ?

Thanks Martha

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    That should work. For mine I laid a couple 4 x 4s in a corner to make a shallow box, and filled it with straw. That's usually where they lay, but not always. Ducks are silly like that.

6. Call Duck Girl

Call Duck Girl New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    Somerset
    i put the box and starw in the corner she is laying one every 2 days now she has 2 eggs should i give her some layers pelletts or not?

7. tedscalls

tedscalls Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2013
    Enville, Ok.
    I hope u don't mind me chiming in. I use small dog houses for my calls to nest in. I put a little stray or wood chips in it and mark a chicken egg with a big x nd put it in there, they fall for it almost every time nd build a nest and lay there. I hatch my eggs in an incubator so I gather all the eggs except for the decoy chicken egg.

8. tedscalls

Feb 7, 2013
    Enville, Ok.
    Layer pellets would be good, I feed mine about 50% layers nd the other half of the crumbles. It has worked out great for me, most of mine lay an egg every day. I also mix a little bit of oyster shells with their feed.

9. tedscalls

Feb 7, 2013
    Enville, Ok.
    Wat all colors of calls do u have?

10. Call Duck Girl

Call Duck Girl New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    Somerset
    I have 64 call ducks so about 40 pairs i have magpie,apricot,caramel,blue fawn,white,black bibbed,blue bibbed so on so thorth........... i love call ducks :) and i also have oranmental ducks i only got them all this year this is my first duck what has layied eggs so far she has layied 2 but not in the nest i put there i pick the eggs up and put them in the nest she does not go in there tho :( she is in a pen with 2 other white ducks and 3 drakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by