Help Please!!! My chicken is sick! *She passed away*

lds_horselover2005

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 16, 2008
South Central PA
Hello everyone!

I have a few questions and I need some seggestions. I have a hen that is extremely sick. I found her last night laying out on the ground. She didn't go in with everyone else. Her comb was dark in color almost a purple color. She is out of it. Her pupils react to light but not all that well. She is thin and has really bad diarehhea. The white part is extremely runny and the dark part is is all together if she does poo that out every time. I just noticed this afternoon that she is running a fever.

I gave her some tetracycline last night hoping that she would make it thru the night. I fed her some yogurt this afternoon when I came home from school (about lunch time). She ate that willingly but she didn't want much to do with water. (I mixed electrolytes in it to help rehydrate her and I gave it to her in her mouth with a syringe) My mom said about propel cus it has a sweet taste to it. She drank that better when I squirted some of that in her mouth.

What could be wrong with her? What kind of treatment should I give her? Can I give her anything to get the fever down?

Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like since she is thin that it could be worms. Has she been wormed? Hopefully some others will chime in and maybe you can save your girl. Usually though a chicken hides there illness well so prevention is the best. Good luck!

I don't know if she has been laying because she is in with 24 other chickens. She is about 3 years old. She eats Southern state layer and grower crumble, the feed store scratch grain, and wheat.

There is no mites. I felt her stomach for eggs and I couldn't feel any eggs.

I have never wormed my birds. Never really had a need to.

Thanks!

Not sure how to mix the aspirin with water or what the correct dosage for a chicken would be. Do you have access to some tylenol, motrin or advil for children? This is already suspended in a liquid form. I know for my 5 year old who is 45 lbs, he only takes 1 tsp every 4 to 6 hours. I would try giving her only a few drops & then waiting about 30 minutes to see if it helps her out.
Also I am wondering if she doesn't have worms. I found worms in my chickens a few weeks ago. Before I ever saw any worms I did notice that they had really, really clear watery poops. I treated them with Rooster Booster Dewormer. Hope that she gets better soon!

Before you give your hen aspirin or ibuprophen or acetaminophen CHECK WITH YOUR VET!!!!!!!!
What if chickens (like some other animals) can't take those meds without dying?
Good luck with your hen, but call your vet about the meds BEFORE you give them.........

welcome-byc.gif

I know they can have ibuprophen and aspirin, but not sure about acetaminophen.

Below is a link that tells the dosage of aspirin from a Dr on justanswer.com

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1qbpl-isa-brown-chicken-swollen-upper

He gives a dosage and how to mix and administer.

There was a thread on here not too long ago about the ibuprophen and giving it to hens. They do have liquid aspirin and ibuprophen, which may be easier.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=149793

That's the link to the thread about the Motrin<ibuprophen>.

Good luck and WELCOME to BYC!!!

Your hen needs an avian vet immediately.
Under normal circumstances, aspirin dosage can be five 325 mg aspirins crushed in one gallon of water or ~1 baby aspirin per cup of water. BUT this is not the answer. She needs much more help, and immediately if not sooner .
JJ

Back
Top Bottom