Help please. My chinese goose is attacking my ducks and my year old buff goose.

Happy Quack

Songster
May 29, 2016
Gunnison Colorado
She was hatched this March. She has been very agressive toward my year old buff goose who backs down and does not start the fight. She is separated at night but still in the same house as the other geese. The ducks and geese have different houses. She has also got hold of my khaki hen and shakes her. She has gone after my calls. I have been separating her until mid day from the ducks. She seems ok after that. It is just in the morning that she has problems with the ducks. I am worried that she will get worse and end up killing one of the other birds. My birds are only locked up at night. They free range all day, have a pond, get all the food and grass the want. At night the geese have 24 sq. feet per bird and the ducks have 7 sq. feet per bird. Separate houses and only the ducks go in their run (which is very large) when I am gone.
I have had problems with ganders killing my ducks before. My last gander tied to kill this Chinese goose. They are put in the oven for dinner at this time (obviously killed first). Any suggestions would be helpful for this goose and the young gander I have now ( he is an American Blue). Please nothing mean.
I am animal welfare approved for my ducks and geese. They are well cared for. I do not hand feed my geese. They are not teased or chased.

Last edited:
Wish I could offer sound advice. I have kept several breeds of geese over the years, and the only one I had trouble with aggression (outside of protecting goslings) was a Chinese gander. I had to separate him from the others in their sleeping area to keep him from ripping feathers from the others. When out in the yard, it was better (after solitary confinement at night). And he seemed to outgrow it. It peaked while he was still young. I hope yours does better soon. I didn't handfeed or tease mine either, nothing mean was done to them (unless you count I had to sometimes scoop him up and restrain him, which made him MORE aggressive when released).

I think you're wise to separate such small ducks, if she's acting that way. I do hope it gets better.

Thanks for your help.
I really did not mean to get a Chinese goose. She was marked as a brown African well when she grew up some it became apparent that that she is a brown Chinese. I have 1American blue gander 1 American Blue hen both are from April this year, 1 American Buff yearling and 1 Brown African hen from this April. Then the brown chines from march. I did have a buff gander yearling but he was the one I ate. I am trying to get it so they hatch their own babies out and then that is where all my roast goose is going to come from. I am hope Blue Boy does not get mean too. The buff yearling is really nice.

That sounds familiar - mine wasn't supposed to be a Chinese either, but when they got older the differences were too obvious.

None of my others have ever been aggressive. I've had mostly Emdbens, but also Pilgrims, Africans, Buffs, and maybe others I've forgotten. And that one Chinese.

Hopefully the others won't become aggressive. I always made it a point not to give them a tempting target - I make sure I can see them. And of course you have to respect them when raising babies is involved.

My Chinese did settle down from his youthful viciousness. He was always peevish and had to be watched, but not so bad as when he was young. I'm not sure if that's typical or not, since I only had one Chinese goose. But what you describe sounds familiar. Mine started getting nasty at around 2-3 months, iirc. Hopefully yours will improve too?

Maybe someone who knows them well will have better advice. I just really don't like Chinese geese.

Thanks again! She is not mean with people it is just other birds. I was trying to avoid Chinese geese and murdochs marked her breed wrong. Darn it! I even sexed her before I bought her so I knew I was getting a gal.

Mine was mostly aggressive with other birds. But HATED being picked up and would bite me (or try to) if I did. Which was bad - as I recall he used to get himself stuck behind a low wall often so when I'd help him over, he'd turn around and try to bite me. But he was a terror to some of the poultry. :( Fortunately we were set up with lots of hiding places so that helped some.

Back
Top Bottom