Help please my ducks were attacked and killed and one lived

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by amyami, Sep 15, 2016.

1. amyami

amyami Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    My ducks were killed yesterday by neighbors dog. My Harlequin drake survived, brought him inside in a crate with food and water, but he is not eating, pooping bright green water like substance. I cleaned his wounds, put some dressing on them. Don't know what else to do, I made him some scrambled eggs, made him some mush to eat. Any suggestions? I had 9 ducks in total one is gone completely, 7 animal control took for our court date.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Wow...Terrible news...Could you take it to a vet for a check up?
    If not? Keep doing what you can for it...He could be in shock so keep him warm with plenty of water. Feed him his usual feed as a wet mash.

Good luck...

3. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2016
    I dislike when neighbors' cats and dogs attack my chickens/ducks. I can't do anything to their cat and dog but they look at my chickens/ducks like they are not as important as their cat/dog.

Did animal control take your birds because you're not supposed to have any at all, or because you had more than you were supposed to? Usually the neighbor is at least apologetic, instead of reporting you.

4. chickens really

I believe animal control took the dead birds to use against the owners of the dog in the attack...One is missing and then the recovering Drake...

5. amyami

amyami Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    Animal control took the dead ducks not because I had too many but because it was going to be too hard for me to bury them all, I kept the ones who slept in my bed and buried them. Animal control is taking them to court because their dog killed my livestock and they should have to pay for them, but how do you put a price tag on your family members even if they were just ducks. Ugh it's so hard to walk outside and not hear their quaking anymore. Also bought some pedialyte for my sick duck but it's hard forcing him to drink it with a syringe.

6. amyami

amyami Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    Yes they took ducks for court, I live where ducks are allowed, got chickens across the street from me.

7. chickens really

Very heart breaking to lose so many at one time...I hope the dog owners will pay for your losses and as you said their is no price tag on our pets...The dog next door to me comes and fights with my dogs when she gets loose...I have charged them every time..So far in two years they have gotten $5000 in fines and still have that dog..We were told we can shoot to kill her if she comes back..If she ever attacks my birds I will totally be at war with them...

Sorry for the loss...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How is the drake today? Do you know to be careful syringe feeding, to make sure you don't send fluid into the lungs?

Shock can set in, and the duck can be unable to eat or drink for a day . . . Keeping him inside, safe, quiet, and TLC can help a great deal.

I would let him swim in a tub of lukewarm water and check for injuries around the vent and under the wings. Vitamins with electrolytes in the water would be good, also. A vet is good if possible.

If you want some help with syringe or tube feeding instructions, there are some threads - I think one is called Go Team Tube Feeding.

9. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    [​IMG] I am so very sorry! Keep him warm (shock and healing will make him feel cold, and take energy needed to heal), the warm bath if you think he will like it, and just keep him in a quiet environment.
    You do need to find a price tag. Stinks, but the neighbor needs to be responsible.

10. amyami

amyami Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    He is doing better, quacking, lol pecking me, drinking pedialyte on his own. He looks at the food and takes a bite every now and again. He gets up and walks around the tote I have him in. The only sore or wound I found on him was on his back which I keep an antibiotic on it. He was preening himself this morning. I'm just worried about him not eating, drinking is no problem now he sure does love the pedialyte lol. I'm going to make him a warm bath in the morning and see how he likes it. Thanks for helping if he doesn't eat pretty soon I need to learn how to tube feed him. I got the price tag
    for them from the feed store.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by