help, please. My favorite duck is badly hurt.

Miss Red

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Trinity, Texas
Yesterday evening the ducks were playing in the water overflowing from the horses water trough, and since they were having so much fun I left the hose on for a few more minutes to give them a puddle. Mama, my mustang, came up for a drink and my tb filly was already there. Chong got in between them and Mama went to run the tb off, and instead ran over Chong and one of my baby hicks who was there with it's adopted mama getting a drink. The chick died instantly, and Chong flapped off. He didn't show back up until it was time for bed, and he looked fine then. This evening when I got home from work I noticed he was lagging behind and his duck waddle was exaggerated. When I picked him up, jis left leg was extremely swollen and all his toes on that foot are crooked and broken. Due to the swelling, I can't FEEL a break but I'm almost positive he's got at least one broken bone in his leg. I felt him over and did not find any other injuries, but there is a bruise in his hip.

He is otherwise eating fine, doing a pretty good job of keeping up with Cheech and Donna, and spent most of his time today in the pool according to my mother. That is out of his norm, Chong usually only spends time in it enough to preen and get out to wander the yard.

He is in a dog crate in my living room with a huge bucket of water, feed, and a pillow to sit on for when he is uncomfortable. He is quacking and calling for his buddies, but I'm worried to let him do too much on that leg and injure it furthur. How much time should I give him to heal up? Can I put ice on it? Culling is always an option but I want to give him a chance, first. He is a survivor, survived a tendon injury as a duckling and a dog attack as a teen. Now I hope he survives this ordeal. Should I bring in one of his ducky friends and leave the other with the chickens or let him settle in to some alone time?

I'm planning on letting him roam for about an hour a day to get exercise, but am also worried that he could furthur injure that leg. He will be getting "water therapy" in my tub for an hour and a half a day. It will be deep enough he can stand If he wants, but also give him the chance to paddle. He's in pain, and won't let me handle the area much so the pictures I took (downloading now) might be all that's posted. I will upload them as soon as PB

I think I'd keep him separated and calm for awhile. Some might recommend a little bit of a splint if he needs it. I'd be careful though because of the swelling. I suppose you could try putting a cool compress on it for 15 mins at a time. Maybe a quarter of a baby aspirin crushed in something yummy. Keep him hydrated. Maybe someone here would have some better suggestions.

well as soon as my computer unfreezes I can get to the pictures. Since I brought him in he has calmed down and is sleeping quietly on his pillow, I moved him in here with me and out of the cage until I retire for the night. He seems happer that way. I am not going to splint it, it's on a joint and I'm in no way good enough at splinting for joint work. That, and the swelling scars me. I put a bag of ice wrapped in a napkin on the pillow, and it's sitting agains t his foot so hopefully that will help.

Can I put absorbine on it or will the fumes bother him?

Chong settled in completely over the night. He is much calmer, so I'm not worried about him getting over strssed at this point. I let him out while I was doing my morning chores because he seemed really stiff. He is back to not putting any weight on the foot and finding new methods of travel so I have him swimming in a bath of ice water to try and bring the swelling out of both legs. Due to staying on his right leg and off his left, he has caused the other leg to swell as well.

CIMG0126.jpg
This is his foot as of 4 am this morning. The swelling has gone up since then. As you can see there's no bruising, just swelling.

Last edited:
Probably 15 minutes of icing several times a day would be good. The swelling on an injury probably peaks in the first 24-48 hours. Maybe a quarter of a baby aspirin in the morning and at night. I would keep him from running around as much as possible for a couple days. Sometimes with a sprain, you can 'walk it out' so walking can be good. Maybe once he resorts to other walking tactics it's time to quiet him in a pen. I'm sure a little sunshine would do him some good. I actually don't have any experience with ducks so I don't know what the leg should look like. It does look a little bent in places. I would keep bumping this for advice and updates. It would be nice if we could get a duck expert here. Poor little guy...

he seems fine getting swim time in ice water, I figured it could help move it out if it's just a sprain. I don't have a local poultry vet but if he is still like this friday, my regular vet will be here to get my horses coggins and I can see what he knows.

any duck people have any more advise? I keep meaning to search for cures but work is crazy and I'm replying off my phone on break so don't have time to just yet.

Back
Top Bottom