Help please! My first ever chicken seems to be a little crusty around the eyes/face! Pics included.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by steffkec, Jan 30, 2013.

1. steffkec

steffkec Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2013
    Hi! I appreciate any advice offered on my first chicken. Please read below.
    We are in the midst of finishing our coop and compiling a mixed flock of young hens for egg-laying. I just received my first hen the other day, Henrietta, and she is a ~14 week old Black Copper Marans (BCM) pullet. To me her face looks a little scaley or crusty... compared to my mature Swedish Flower and Buff Brahma hens (I got them the day after Henrietta). Am I being paranoid? (see below pictures and please let me know if this is normal or not). Her face does not appear any itchier than new feathers would.
    Also, her eyelid looks droopy to me... any advice on this? Does it look normal to you?
    Lastly, one of my other hens is definitely dominant (9 month old Swedish Flower) and even pecks at this BCM pullet from the cage the BCM is currently in (they are all in my basement until this weekend when my boyfriend and I can transport our finished coop to my backyard). I have them separated because the BCM came first and the Swedish Flower and Buff Brahma came together and already have a peck-relationship. When we put them in the new coop (we will also have 2 Speckled Sussex by that time), I plan to isolate the bully Swedish Flower in a dog crate for at least a few days so the other hens can get used to the new coop first.

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer! Please see below pictures for my BCM face.
    Keep in mind these are my first chickens EVER.... so really, I'd appreciate ANY advice you have. Thanks a lot!
    Christy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by