Help please, my hen has a terrible injury on her neck from a rooster

Chellerae

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2021
I need help on how to treat my little hen. She’s not very old… hatched April 11. She’s been with the same group since hatch day and no problems so I’m not sure what’s happened. I noticed the rooster trying to get her but I thought that was normal behavior. This isn’t. She’s the only girl with any sign of injury but it’s awful. I’ve moved all my girls out of there. This happened in a matter of a day and a half. I hope the pictures attach. I have some of that blue stuff but idk if I should use it on this. Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 8D41DD7F-BFE7-44AF-88B8-2049439C9815.jpeg
    8D41DD7F-BFE7-44AF-88B8-2049439C9815.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 14
  • BAD6B1FE-FC1C-4A54-B4CB-2F9DE9943553.jpeg
    BAD6B1FE-FC1C-4A54-B4CB-2F9DE9943553.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 7BE06005-BDCA-426B-812F-DA6FF2F6552C.jpeg
    7BE06005-BDCA-426B-812F-DA6FF2F6552C.jpeg
    842.7 KB · Views: 10
That is pretty deep for the Blukote, which may be what you have. I would use a little Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) and water, and later apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Keep her away from flies, since flies will lay maggot eggs on it. I would keep her separated inna wire dog crate, shaded, with food and water, but leave her near the other chickens if possible.

If the rooster is a cockerel, he may need to be separated for awhile until he calms down some. If he does this again, I would do something more permanent. There are too many good roosters out there to put up with one who harms the hens.

Ouch, can you rinse it off? For better pictures. Apply antibacterial ointment and keep her away from the others
Ok. Yes I have help today. I’ll try and get better pictures and post asap it will be a bit because I’m sure this will take a wile. I actually have her in the house. I brought her in as soon as I saw what happened yesterday evening. I’ll rinse and apply Neosporin I guess is ok…. Thank you!!

That is pretty deep for the Blukote, which may be what you have. I would use a little Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) and water, and later apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Keep her away from flies, since flies will lay maggot eggs on it. I would keep her separated inna wire dog crate, shaded, with food and water, but leave her near the other chickens if possible.

If the rooster is a cockerel, he may need to be separated for awhile until he calms down some. If he does this again, I would do something more permanent. There are too many good roosters out there to put up with one who harms the hens.
Yes bluekote is what I have. I thought it was too deep for that. He completely ripped her skin off. I really don’t want to take a chance on him doing it again… I’d hate for this to happen to any hen especially one of mine so I’m not taking any chances. I’ve had quite a few cockerels/roosters & I’ve never had this happen. Maybe it’s normal… idk but not at my house!!!
I tried to rinse her off but it’s all dried up now so that didn’t do much. I got her wiped down good with a wet washcloth . I sprayed some peroxide on it… and then put Neosporin on it. I have Microcyn AH wound and skin care hydrogel. Is that something I can use? I just realized I may have that Hibiclens….. is it pink over the counter stuff for people?
thank you, I appreciate your help so very much!!

Attachments

• 6D727D72-1929-48E5-A9B7-4BCA45AE054E.jpeg
    6D727D72-1929-48E5-A9B7-4BCA45AE054E.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 10
Ok. Yes I have help today. I’ll try and get better pictures and post asap it will be a bit because I’m sure this will take a wile. I actually have her in the house. I brought her in as soon as I saw what happened yesterday evening. I’ll rinse and apply Neosporin I guess is ok…. Thank you!!
I wasn’t able to get a good picture and my help wasn’t much help at all. It’s dried up now. You could tell better yesterday how bad it was. Not so much today but I’m hopeful that’s a good thing
If it's dried and scabbed over, just use the Neosporin. That will keep it moist and more pliable.
Watch for signs of infection/odors.
ok thank you. I will.

Attachments

• 55F5BC01-D993-4855-A280-5F1AA1AB1767.jpeg
    55F5BC01-D993-4855-A280-5F1AA1AB1767.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 6
I wasn’t able to get a good picture and my help wasn’t much help at all. It’s dried up now. You could tell better yesterday how bad it was. Not so much today but I’m hopeful that’s a good thing

ok thank you. I will. What do I do if it gets infected?

ok thank you. I will.

If it gets infected, then flush with Chlorhexidine really well. Remove any pus, flush again, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

I've had hens with similar injuries and those usually heal well with just keeping it cleaned and applying ointment.

Back
Top Bottom