HELP PLEASE! MY HEN IS SICK!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by roostersandhens, Mar 11, 2013.

1. My hen Doodle is very sick. She is a Barred Rock. I am not sure on her age she was found about 6 months ago on the side of the road with 5 other hens. When the roosters mate with her she sits on the ground for afew minutes and then slowly gets up. She has had cronic vent gleet/poopy but. She cant get on her perch. She usually can. Her eyes are half closed and have been for a long time. She just seems like she is in a daze. I will be gratfull to anyone who can get my Doodle healthey again. I love her soooo much. Please help. Oh and she has watery poop. Thanks so much if u can hep I really appreciate it!
    Thanks
    Roostersandhens!
    P.S. She has lost alot of weight she weighs 2 or 3 pounds and she is a large fowl.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. PEASE HELP! anyone?
    thanks!

3. oh no! she sounds pretty sick! I am new to chickens,but i've read tons of books...no idea,sorry[​IMG]

4. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    Does she lay eggs? Does she have any other symptoms? Can you put her somewhere warm and feed her scrambled eggs and oats. Clean her vent up and you can give her some 1/4 strength gatorade. Hope she recovers:)

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I wish I could be more help. I do recommend removing her from the rest of the flock. If she is weak she doesn't need to be bothered by the rooster or other hens. A big dog crate in the garage with her own food or water might help her rest.

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Well if its Vent Gleet, I would seperate her so the roosters aren't breeding her and so she's not spreading that mess around. I have successfully cured my Aussie Roo of vent gleet.

Go buy a womens yeast infection medication ( I used the generic gel/cream in a tube) and rubber gloves.
    Wash the hens butt thoroughly, dry, and plunge a small amount of medication onto your finger.
    Apply IN and AROUND the vent area.

I kept my roo in a large dog cage for the entire duration of his treatment. Keep everything spotlessly clean with fresh bedding every day.

Mix up a special meal for her to keep her energy up and increase the good bacteria in the crop/gut. I mixed the comercial crumble I feed with Naturally Sweetened yogurt and buttermilk. Its important to give natural sweeteners because they cant process artificial sweeteners.

I also fed him a small amount of the anti-yeast medication in bread pieces since Vent Gleet is a fungal infection of the entire digestive system.

Keep water with probiotics in it available at all times. (I used a dog bowl with clip so it cant be spilled)

My roo was cured in about 2 weeks.

NOTE: This is just what I had come up with after days of searching different treatments. I hope it works for you.

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Adding that you will know the infection is Vent Gleet by the horrendous rotting smell. It smells like a rotting carcass left in the july sun for a week. Its quite a particular smell, you wont be able to misdiagnose it.

8. I dont think she is laying. She was laying. I have her in a small box in my house infront if my fireplace. I will give her some scrabled eggs and oats soon Thanks!Would she ba able to have gaterade? I thought chickens couldnt have sugar. I could be wrong.
    Thanks
    roostersandhens

9. any more ideas? does nyone know what she could have. Oh BTW her vent gleet has no smell so maybe it is not vent gleet idk
    Thanks!

10. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    If there is no smell, its not vent gleet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by