Help please! My RI red Hen isn't feeling good

risk

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 16, 2013
Lexington Tennessee
I give my RI Red hen some purple onions and two days later she started acting sleepy and her comb trun a little purpleish color..yesterday she eat some corn potatoes chip dip and she drunk kinda a lot of water.....This morning her crowl was full and kinda hard... She been sleepy all day and her crowl is still full and she eat very eat and her comb is purple color and she not pooping like she should be, when she dose poop is very running and mostly white in color.....aslo she haven't lay an egg in/around 2 years ......

If you could post a picture of her comb it might help. Do you have 16% layer feed for her? She really should be eating only layer or flock raiser feed for 90% of her diet, and then you could give her a few extras such as corn, sunflower seeds, or scratch. Check her crop in the morning when it should be empty--if it's not she may have an impacted crop. Her purple comb could be from a heart problem, and when there is a lot of white in the stool, that is mostly urine or urates. How old is she? Many of the production reds don't lay well after 2-3 years. Has she been wormed recently? That could account for the runny poop.

here is a picture of her head and comb. her comb is pretty much cover her eye up... She turn 5 years-old back in September.. also she haven't had any 16% layer feed in/round two weeks and I wormed her 3 days ago.....she eat the onions 5 days ago and started to having the runny poop for about 4 days but it got really bad today......

Last edited:
I believe I have read that onions can be toxic to birds and cause hemolytic anemia. Might want to do some research on that as I am pulling that off the top of my head and haven't researched it recently. I would definitley stop feeding her things like chips, dip and other unhealthy foods. Many human foods contain way to much sodium which can also be toxic.

It coud also be various other health issues that are impacting her circulatory system which would cause the purplish comb color.

Thanks, I didn't know chip dip was bad for her. I will stick on giving her veggies and good stuff... I will do some research on the onions and stuff...

This might help out. she got hurt around 4&half years ago by a dog... I also notice she have a hard lump on left lower side its right in front of her leg...

Back
Top Bottom