HELP! Please, need advice....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by babylady4, Nov 16, 2009.

1. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    For helping my Budgie...... I know she is not a chicken, but you guys are so knowledgable in vet care for your baby chicks I thought maybe you would have some insight and help me out.

I found one of our 1 1/2 year old baby budgies on the bottom of their aviary this morning. She is still bright eyed but not up on a perch. It looks like she has some crusty stuff on her neck from possibly throwing up, but it is from a while ago; she does not have a full crop and she is pretty thin. Her vent opening is sparse with feathers but it is not crusty and her droppings are very liquid. I did manage to give her some water and she is in her own private box with a hot water bottle to keep her temp up. I ran out and picked up some of those liquid baby vitamins you all recommend and managed to get her to take a drop, and I have also gotten some sugar free apple juice to give her but she was not as responsive when I came home with the juice.

I am very worried for her.... and don't even mention taking her to a vet, there are no avian vets within the next 30 miles and I bet the stress of the drive would kill her.

Thank you in advance all my chicken loving friends!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm sorry! How old is she? keep her warm...can you tempt her with warmed, cooked oatmeal or grits? or scrambled eggs??

3. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Thanks Red for the help, she passed away anyway. At least she was warm and comfortable when she did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by